What adapter to go from 1/4" copper pipe to 3/8" black pipe.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qmavam

Reaction score
I have a 1/4" copper pipe from the gas meter through a brick/2x4 wall, it then has a flare T with one side going to the furnace and the other going to the water heater. The wall is unfinished (no drywall), but I want to put up drywall. To do that I need to straighten out the existing pipe to minimize the cutout in the drywall. I would like to have black pipe going from outside, through the wall to the inside, then a T, with a valve off each side. Then 1/4" copper going to the furnace and water heater.
What type of connector do I use to go from 1/4" copper to 3/8" black pipe.
As it sets, all the copper is flare connections.
Mkek

Black pipe for gas? Is this even legal?
I thought black pipe was for gas!
I found this,
"Black Pipe
They are also known as black steel pipes, black iron pipes or black malleable pipes. Used to transport natural and propane gas from the street or a tank to the home."
And
"Black steel pipe is uncoated and it is widely used for transporting gas like propane and natural gas to residential and commercial building."

My error. I was just reading a post on flexible black tubing, and was thinking you were doing the same. My apologies!

I thought 1/2" black pipe was the smallest produced? Are you referring to ID or OD?

Do you have regulators at each appliance? 1/4" is pretty small if not. You need to make sure what you want to do is sized appropriately.

Like GReynolds929 said, are you sure about the pipe size. Supplying gas to your furnace and your water heater through a single 1/4" pipe seems quite unrealistic unless your gas is higher pressure that normal and that would mean you had a pressure regulator at each device. And using 3/8" steel pipe is also pretty small unless the gas is at a higher pressure than most utility supplied gas post their meter/pressure regulator.

Yes, 1/4 seems very small. I have 3/4 which down sizes to 1/2 for my stove and grill, remains 3/4 to generator. But I have a 2# system. And I worried it would be to small.

Back