What $40,000 looks like...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinaski

Reaction score
Toilet supply line broke at the plastic tank valve female end overnight. Ruined two bathrooms (vanities, doors, drywall, etc), two bedrooms with hardwood floors and it wiped out the cabinets in the laundry room. $40k paid out by insurance (thank heavens my agent got me into a good policy with full water coverage). From what i've been reading this type of break is fairly common and always at the plastic end. Doing some research anything you find at home depot or lowes has the plastic end. There are a couple i found on Amazon of all places that have the tank end in metal with very mixed reviews (one several people claim actually is plastic but painted to look metal). So it seems for whatever reason 99% of these supply lines are plastic on the tank end. Why? Clearly it's a **** design that can lead to a break and severe property damage. What is the recommendation for best toilet supply line? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_4283.jpeg
    IMG_4283.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
I use the ones with plastic nuts. It’s important that they’re not overnighted.

Looks like it broke at what’s called the knit line.

they’re available with a metal nut. I use them too……👌

EDIT: I see you added a recommendation, Thanks!

Appreciate the advice. Do you know of a reputable brand that makes ones with a metal nut at the tank end? I found an Eastman 48087 with mixed reviews and some claim it looks metal but is actually plastic and a Kissler-88-2908 that has a lot of complaints that it doesn't fit the threading in the toilet valve even though it states 7/8". That's about all I found so far...

Last edited:
Fluidmaster brand is excellent.
Their PRO line is my choice. "Click Seal" is an incredibly robust/thick nut, but, all their toilet nuts are very heavy. The company has the highest visibility in the industry and can't make junk: it would cost them too much. 1630777358932.png
1630777358932.png

Fluidmaster brand is excellent.
Their PRO line is my choice. "Click Seal" is an incredibly robust/thick nut, but, all their toilet nuts are very heavy. The company has the highest visibility in the industry and can't make junk: it would cost them too much. View attachment 31212
View attachment 31212

The contractor doing the repairs now recommended those click-lock ones too. Unfortunately when I read the reviews on homedepot there were various complaints and at least one I saw had the exact same thing happen to him leaving 4" of water in his cellar.

I took the recommendation above and ordered the westbrass ones

Back