WH question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techiegirl

Reaction score
Have 50 gal WH electric. There is no shut off valves so I could drain the tank and keep the break off. So I have been going in once a week turn on the break to the WH turn on the faucet. So far that is (expensive electric co-op) a couple dollars every time I do this. the co-op charges $30 wether I use electricity or not. I don't know even who to call to have them put in shut off valves at the top of the water heater.

So my question is can I leave the breaker to the WH off for more than a week with the tank full? What would be the longest before problems happen?

ok, so it won't hurt the water heater full of water just sitting in it? I was wondering if water just sitting in there would damage the anode? Wil bacteria form in the water and create a smell since it isn't kept hot? It's well water.. :)

Last edited:
Run your hot faucet and keep the water in the tank moving once in a while so it doesn't get stagnant. It just won't be hot.

We leave our water heater in Arizona full and shut off for 7 months over summer, it doesn't have a drain, and it's more apt to rust with air in it that water. The water in our part of AZ is bad, I'm surprised the heater has lasted 12 years, I check it for leaks twice a week when were there, it has a drain pan piped outside, and it won't freeze!

We leave our water heater in Arizona full and shut off for 7 months over summer, it doesn't have a drain, and it's more apt to rust with air in it that water. The water in our part of AZ is bad, I'm surprised the heater has lasted 12 years, I check it for leaks twice a week when were there, it has a drain pan piped outside, and it won't freeze!
wow, okay, thank you for that.

Leaving water in the tank stagnant will eventually cause a stink. Be sure to flush the heaters when you put it back in service by running a lot of water from the hot side.

Update: I left off for 10 days, the stink was there. I can't drain it as I'm hesitant to make sure I get the right shut off valves. I'm guessing they would go on the top of the unit as what appears to go to the tank seems an antiquated metal line? I think I'm just scared if something happens no one to help. Where I live all these so called contractors really price gouge customers.

Just put a hose on the bottom drain valve and turn it on like a faucet. Don't turn the water heater on yet. Let it run for a while until
you don't smell anything in the water. You won't have to turn any other valves off.

Back