Wet Vent Toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmatyasovsky

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some guidance regarding replacing the existing copper drain lines with PVC in a 2nd floor bathroom. Please see the attached photos. Two of the photos show the existing copper drains as they were plumbed when the house was built in the late 1960’s. The toilet was run with a 3” line which goes from the 2nd floor straight down into the main. The 3” 90 has a 2” side inlet. The side inlet is a 2” line that runs out the roof. The only other item on this 2” vent line is the 1 ½” lav which can be seen in the photos. As I understand it, the toilet is being wet vented through that side inlet 90.

I plan to keep the toilet and lav layout almost identical. The original lav line was plumbed for 2 lavs. I only plan to have one.

Is the existing layout with the side inlet 90 ok or is there a better method to accomplish the wet vent?

In the last photo, I have some of the copper lines removed. I have a low heel 90 with two 90’s. Would that be any better? I’m a bit confused with the best method to wet vent due to the vent having to angle over to the 3” stack within the joist bay. Will the flow of water from the lav effectively kill the venting if the lav was being used when the toilet is flushed in either of these layouts?

Attachments

• PXL_20230715_144824024.jpg
    PXL_20230715_144824024.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230715_144834376.jpg
    PXL_20230715_144834376.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230717_230608188.jpg
    PXL_20230717_230608188.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
That’ll work fine. If I was your inspector I would approve it in an existing structure.

Ok thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I have both the low heel 90 and side inlet 90 in PVC on hand. Would one be a better configuration than the other?

The side inlet, like your existing setup, doesn't meet current codes. A vent for a horizontal drain line needs to be vertical or no more than 45 degrees off vertical per current codes. So, the heel inlet the correct choice for the wet venting of the toilet. The "wet vent" section of the drain line needs to be one size larger than required by the code for the fixture it is draining. Your 2" line from the heel inlet through the roof which serves as the drain from a single sink which is a 1 1/2" drain meets that requirement. As such, there is no concern for the drain operating at the same time the toilet is flushed.

Thanks for the additional input. I'll plan to move forward with the low heel inlet.

Back