Well pump stuck

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatsuwr

Reaction score
I have a 1/2 HP pump hanging on 160' of 1" PE drop pipe. Pipe broke ~6' down, but I was able to get a rope around it. I pulled with 250 lbs, but it didn't budge.

At this point, I am assuming the wires got jammed between the pump and the casing (4" PVC). But when I pull the wires at the top, I can't see any movement at the bottom. I assume it is taped well to the drop pipe. Here is the best video I was able to get of it so far:

I'm wondering how best to proceed. I could pull a bit harder, but eventually that drop pipe is going to break or separate. Would it be better for me to try pushing the pump down instead? And I could get some sort of hook to try to catch the wiring at the bottom and pull it free.

Alright, plan for the day is to try pushing the pump down.

I'll get some 2" PVC joined with couplings, but not glued. I will have a rope tied to the bottom piece to retrieve the PVC when done, and I can just slip the pieces off as I pull them up.

On the bottom piece I will cut some teeth so it can cut through any tape remaining holding the wire to the pipe. If this fails, 2" is enough to have the wire inside the PVC too, but I'd rather have it on the outside so I can pull the wire as I push the pump.

I figure I only pulled with a max of ~300 lbs. Considering the weight of the water, pipe, and pump, that was maybe ~200 lbs that wedged the wire between the casing and the pump. When I push, all of those will be helping, so I expect 100-200 lbs of pushing should do it. I think 2" Sch 40 will handle that, especially with a 4" casing keeping it from bowing too much.

I'll have to cut off my current knot that is holding the drop pipe and make a new one with some thinner rope, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I am afraid the tape maybe in the way when trying to slip it over the drop pipe. Put a cutter on the end of the fish pipe to cut the tape. But then the tape pieces will be in the well, and they can clog up a pump. While pounding down, pull on the wire, not the pipe. If the wire breaks it is usually at the splice, which means you get it all out of the way. 100# poly should never be used in a well. A pump using a 40/60 switch and lifting from 100' is already over 100# on the pipe. And you can't pull on it much either.

I pulled a stuck pump out of a 4 inch well using an A frame and a chain hoist, every time it would start to stick I turned it a little with a pipe wrench, only clockwise. I bought a new pump at Menards that was a little smaller and it went down fine, ran fine for the 10 years we owned the house.

Latest posts

Back