Well Pump Pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My vacation cottage is on a well system. Coming into the basement is the main line (1 in PVC sch 40). From there it tees off to an outside garden watering station and then begins the main house water supply. The 1 in PVC transitions down to 3/4 CPVC before entering the pressure tank. After the tank there is a 3/4 CPVC plastic ball valve. I would like to install a more robust brass 1 in ball valve all the way back before the tee since we cut the water off when not there and the cheapo 3/4 valve seems frail for continued use and also too far down the line. My question is about turning off the water to install the new valve. Would shutting off the pump and draining any pressure be enough to stop the flow from the well to do the work? I really don't feel like finding this out when I cut the pipe. Thanks in advance.

Turn power off to the pump and bleed the residual pressure off the line by opening a faucet. Then cut your line and drain it into a bucket.

There should be no more water than what is in the pipes after turning off the pump and opening a faucet to drain the tank. Only in a "flowing" or Artesian Well would water not stop coming through the pipes. But if water stops coming out of the faucet, it will also not come out of the pipes.

Back