Wax like substance coming from faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotaigo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not sure how long this has been going on but I am getting what seems like a light wax sediment whenever I use the bathroom sink; this is especially noticeable whenever I use the hot water and less noticeable when I use the code side, if at all.

Common sense would dictate that it probably has something to do with the hot water heater, etc. and I'm thinking to do a flush on it, but I wanted to see if someone thinks there's something else going on.

I would appreciate it if you can chime in and provide any thoughts as to what you think it is.

Thanks in advance.

If it’s been over a year, flush the heater.
Whether or not it is causing your problem, it needs flushing anyway.

After you flush it, run lots of hot water out of the hot side of a laundry sink, bath tub, or other faucet that is less likely to get a clogged aerator than a kitchen faucet, for example.

Tub is best, usually no aerator at all, you can dump the first ten or twenty gallons after you flush the heater.
Lots of junk will still be in that first batch of water.

Is there anything else on your water line, like a water softener or iron filter system?

Last edited:
If it’s been over a year, flush the heater.
Whether or not it is causing your problem, it needs flushing anyway.

After you flush it, run lots of hot water out of the hot side of a laundry sink, bath tub, or other faucet that is less likely to get a clogged aerator than a kitchen faucet, for example.

Tub is best, usually no aerator at all, you can dump the first ten or twenty gallons after you flush the heater.
Lots of junk will still be in that first batch of water.

Is there anything else on your water line, like a water softener or iron filter system?
No, we do not have a softener nor an iron filter system. Yes, I agree with you, I should start with a flush of the heater tank regardless.

Shouldn't flushing of a water heater at least start with the drain at the bottom of the tank?

I suggest you google it for the appropriate procedure. There are many videos on the subject.

Back