Watts regulator and Sharkbite fittings

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbakbradley

Reaction score
I'm an electrical guy, and not plumbing, so very ignorant. My water pressure is around 90psi and it's causing issues with leaky faucets, toilets, etc. A few years back, a friend told me to buy a watts regulator and fittings. He has not installed for me, so I want to do it myself. My local plumbing supply shop recommended that I use Sharkbite fittings. I purchased them 3/4.

Reg is a 3/4 Watts N45BU M1

Female ends both sides, but one side has a large nut. Not sure what that's for. Can I use the white sealer tape on the Sharkbite fittings, insert in both sides of reg and snap into the copper pipe where I cut it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

The large nut is a union. There should be a gasket under that nut. Are the shark-bites you have 3/4' male thread on one end a shark-bite on the other? If they are then t-tape on the male threads is what you need. I,m not a great fan of shark-bite fittings. The preferred way would be to use copper X male fittings into the PRV. It's not that hard to solder a joint. If you own a home and do some of your own repair work at some point in time you will have to solder a joint or two. It is a good skill to learn.

John

Yes, there is a rubber gasket under that nut/union. The Sharkbite fittings are male on one end, and Sharkbite on other. Seemed rational that I inserted the male end of the SB fittings into each female end of the reg. just having a hard time picturing what the union/nut is for on the reg. it appears I can tighten that before inserting the SB fitting. Is that the case?

Also, I really appreciate your post

The union is used to make it eraser to replace the PRV if the need be. When you tighten the shark-bite into the union half you have to use a wrench to hold back on that fitting. Even with the union tight it will still spin when tightening the shark-bite.

John

Does it matter if I install the reg vertical or horizontal? I will be using the Sharkbite fittings

What are the negatives with the SB fittings? My local plumbing supply company highly recommends them and said many plumbers are going this route for their simplicity and reliability.

Definitely horizontal. I don't think you can install them vertically and have them work. Might be wrong. And shark bites are pretty new. They even say on the bags use only in accessible locations due to them potentially leaking. If it all possible solder the joints. We've been soldering for years with practically zero issues down the road. Solder joints are just more solid. Depends on the plumber but the only time I use shark bites is occasionally on a HWT cause they make flex connectors and they are nice when you don't have any play in the pipe. And if I'm in a real bind and the pipe just won't empty of water I'll use a shark bite. In like 3 years of plumbing I've used shark bites like twice besides HWT. But it's totally up to you. It's just better to solder if possible.

Back