Water Stain From Plumbing Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMIEM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On more than one occasion I have had water stains appear on my ceilings that have been attributable to different types of leaks from the floor or attic above, e.g. toilet wax ring, tub/shower diverter, rotted bathroom shower exhaust pipe. When I first notice a stain I outline the stain with a pencil and watch to see if the stain spreads (ongoing leak) or if it's possibly a one-time event. I have one stain that hasn't spread outside the pencil lines but has gotten darker over time. The spot is not damp to the touch and I'm wondering if it is old and part of a problem that I had fixed. The original problem was the tub/shower diverter and this stain is on the ceiling under the center of the tub/shower is directly above. I've checked the shower valve and all is well. The only other thing I can think of is failure of the caulk around the tub/tile wall joint.

On more than one occasion I have had water stains appear on my ceilings that have been attributable to different types of leaks from the floor or attic above, e.g. toilet wax ring, tub/shower diverter, rotted bathroom shower exhaust pipe. When I first notice a stain I outline the stain with a pencil and watch to see if the stain spreads (ongoing leak) or if it's possibly a one-time event. I have one stain that hasn't spread outside the pencil lines but has gotten darker over time. The spot is not damp to the touch and I'm wondering if it is old and part of a problem that I had fixed. The original problem was the tub/shower diverter and this stain is on the ceiling under the center of the tub/shower is directly above. I've checked the shower valve and all is well. The only other thing I can think of is failure of the caulk around the tub/tile wall joint.
not sure of shower valve brand but I test the diverters for leaks by removing the face plate and moving the diverter from tub to shower

Back