Water softner water filter help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel6677

Reaction score
Hello, I have a water softner that basically runs for the whole house. What I would like is that I don't have salty tasting water to my kitchen sink and ice maker which probably is not that great to drink. Can I install a sediment filter near my softner for whole house and then a water filter just to my kitchen sink and ice maker so I don't get the salt to it?

There are salt less water softeners available but I have found they are close to 3x the price of the conventional salt systems. I had my water tested after my softener install because I want to use my water to brew beer . The test came back as the sodium level was 8.9 times below the average person’s ability to detect sodium chloride. Not tasteable, but in brewing beer , not a good combination.

You may want to cut a tee in off the main just for your beer, if you know the water conditions you need , you maybe able to talk to a filter co and get just that line filtered and get it even cleaner

Was looking into the reverse osmosis system just for my brewing water. The spring water that I was buying went up 30% due to the diesel fuel prices .

Does water from a reverse osmosis filtration system take everything out of the water making it, in effect, distilled? If so, I'd think you'd notice a taste difference in your brew that your favorite spring water would have imparted.

I used to work in power plants with high pressure boilers (1800 to 3600 psi) and we were transitioning from demineralizers (very fancy water softeners) to RO systems so I'd say the RO water is going to be pretty much mineral free.

RO takes out pretty much everything as far as the hardness which is what you want . But then you have almost distilled water and then you can add back what you want with brewing salts. You can make taylor made water with the right water profile to fit the beer you are brewing.

We are contemplating installing a water softner. Do they all put out salty tasting water or are there ways other than using salt to get the job done?
If they are working properly the water should not be salty! But, we have a separate faucet that is unsoftened but goes through a charcoal filter for drinking.

Out of my softener I have a 5 micron sediment filter that will catch soluble iron , so after 90 days it looks quite orange but the water still had an off flavor to it. It never bothered me but my wife always drinking bottled water wasn’t convinced. I then put a 5 micron carbon filter after that and my water is great . Now the test, my wife occasionally asks me to get her a bottle of water from the fridge, so I had refilled a few bottles with tap water and put them in my mini beer fridge. For about a month now when ever she asks for a bottle of water, I give her a a refilled bottle. I’ll let this go on until she catches me or notices something different in the water. My next brew , I’ll use my water in a pale ale and take my grandkids for ice cream on the $18 I saved from not buying spring water 💦.

Out of my softener I have a 5 micron sediment filter that will catch soluble iron , so after 90 days it looks quite orange but the water still had an off flavor to it. It never bothered me but my wife always drinking bottled water wasn’t convinced. I then put a 5 micron carbon filter after that and my water is great . Now the test, my wife occasionally asks me to get her a bottle of water from the fridge, so I had refilled a few bottles with tap water and put them in my mini beer fridge. For about a month now when ever she asks for a bottle of water, I give her a a refilled bottle. I’ll let this go on until she catches me or notices something different in the water. My next brew , I’ll use my water in a pale ale and take my grandkids for ice cream on the $18 I saved from not buying spring water 💦.
I always put the sediment filter ahead of the softener, most softeners have a little screen strainer that plugs easily with sediment or rust.

That was my thought to , but the well driller said after the softener. Easy to change in the future if I need to. All pex piping is what I’ve used.

Back