Water softener not softening water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LP_P

Reaction score
I have Culligan Medalist 8" Model installed in 2017, which looks new.
All appears to function correctly during a regen.
The resin or media tank is flushed then the brine solution is drawn from the salt storage tank.
Bypass valve correct location (not bypassed)

I purchased a low-cost sensor that measures water hardness (TDS Meter).

The meter appears to be working low value on purchased water and about the same value on water from the city (hard) and water leaving the water softener.

I first checked for any "salt bridges" as my manual suggests, no salt brides and enough salt for the brine solution to form.

I next purchased Pro Products Res Care and have run around 5 cycles with the recommended amount. (link below)
A regen with Res Care when I go to bed then a regen again when I wake to run a new brine solution to make sure all is cleaned out well.
https://proproducts.com/products/res-care
When I purchased the Res Care one reviewer wrote they put half a bottle in which is way more than the recommended amount.

I am wondering if I have so much buildup on my resin/Cullex® Media if I should add a larger amount of Res Care?
Does anyone have any experience doing that?

It appears to me it has to be my resin/Cullex® Media is just too coated or it went bad.
Given my unit is only 6 years old I expect it is just coated.
Culligan does give a lifetime warranty on the resin/Cullex® Media.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back