Water Softener Loop include a drain?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the common sense.

:eek:

I didn't mean to direct that at you, but the builder and the plumber as he/she/it/mutant should have pointed out no drainage was provided in the original plans. Sorry... :eek:

At this point my folks have decided to cut their losses and handle this themselves. What would be the best way to install proper drainage for the water softener. I am thinking a standpipe box, no trap, and a run of 2" to get it beyond the house so about 50' of pipe would get it to the side yard. (She absolutely doesn't want it near the house and exit point from the house is inside corner between 4 car garage and main house)

Then what to do in the side yard? I figure then she just needs a resevior to hold brine/backwwash pending soil absorption. Gravel pit? Manufactured drywell? Longer, linear french drain with perf pipe and gravel or peanuts? 55 gl drum with drilled holes? Manufactured septic chamber like ADS or infiltrator?

Have you had a bid on just installing a waste line back to the house or septic tank? I wouldn't use those guys.

You have to consult local code as to a possible French Drain or catch basin. I know it is frowned upon around here.

No seriously, I meant thank you....I agree about t he common sense. I am probably going to do it myself, something tells me the inspectors won't notice, they haven't noticed anything else. Just need some guidance

Last edited:
I am probably going to do it myself, something tells me the inspectors won't notice, they haven't noticed anything else. Just need some guidance

Listen...

Don't feel like THE LONE STRANGER as this happens to many. The house I had built was full of incompetence/no caring.

Like I said, see what local regulations are for any type of drainage.

Drywall was going up, so I decided to put in a standpipe myself for the softener. I installed a washer drain box about 36" high, 2" pipe straight down to a sweep 90 through the exterior wall. At a later date I will turn it down to clear the footer, then continue 2" pipe horizontally (with 1/4" fall) to a drywell.

There wasn't enough room in the stud cavity for a trap, and it isn't connecting to septic, so I didn't trap or vent it. If that becomes problematic (musty odors, bugs coming into garage from drywell) , I will install a p-trap underground just outside the exterior wall, along with a short vertical vent pipe topped with a studor or floor drain.
Sound like a plan?

Back