Water Softener loop goes to hot only

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanCLV

Reaction score
I helped my dad install a water softener at his house. We put it on the softener loop that was put in when the house was built in 1998. We tested the faucets with hard water test strips and discovered that only the hot water faucets are delivering soft water. So the loop must be feeding only the water heater.
I live in the same neighborhood as my dad, a few blocks away, same builder, except my home was built a year later, and I have a softener hooked up to the builder supplied soft water loop and my house has soft water on all faucets except for the kitchen sink cold, which is what I understand to be a standard loop configuration.
What could explain this difference? Did building code change or could all faucets soft water have been a builder upgrade (neither of us bought our homes brand new)?
And furthermore is there any easy way to make all faucets at my dad’s house soft using the loop? For example if I cut the wall open would there just be a cold water branch off before the soft water loop? I have an endoscope I could run part way up the pipe to check, although it isn’t the best quality picture.
The main point of entry for the water line for my dads house is in the garage and we could easily plumb the softener to that, although getting a drain and electric to that location would be a challenge.

Back