water softener - big vs small

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyshot

Reaction score
A question that I've not been able to get an answer on when comparing a larger softener to a smaller one.

If the smaller one regenerates more frequently (because of it's smaller resin bed) than a larger unit, will the end result be more salt and water used because of more frequent regeneration? Or will that be close enough and not be a consideration?

Thanks

Having had a MASSIVE softener for a commercial car wash operation (I bought my salt by the skidload!)...the question you should be asking is not comparing large vs. small, but accurately sizing your softener to your needs. There are a lot of resources out there to tell you this, but you need to know your water quality (hardness, iron content, chlorine and other added components if city water, etc.), and you also need to know your water consumption. A family of two in a 1000 square foot 1.5 bath home would require a vastly different sized unit that a family of 5 in a five bedroom 3.5 bath home of 3600 square feet...and that's not even considering the water quality yet. So, find these resources online and "do the math" to figure out what the proper sized unit is for your needs and for your water quality.

Latest posts

Back