Water runs out of back side of toilet when flushed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PVC

Reaction score
Not the base where the wax ring is, and not quite the tank (unless it's running down the tank then down the back side of the toilet onto the floor). It only happens when flushed.

I'm guessing there is a crack in the back somewhere and the toilet needs to be replaced?

I've replaced taken toilets off 4 times before for other reasons so it's not a huge deal to replace the toilet if it comes down to it, but would rather avoid replacing the toilet if I can avoid it as they are awkward to lift into the tub (I have sliding doors rather than a curtain in the bathroom that this is happening in). As such I figured I'd ask if anyone has seen this before and knows what's going on. Thanks in advance.

Check the bottom of the tank when flushing could be the gasket between the tank and toilet. If that doesn’t show signs of leakage then keep looking around that area. Those bolts can rust out and cause problems. Lastly do you have caulking around the base of your toilet?

I would suggest shaking the tank that holds the water to see if it is simply loose. It should move very little. You can tighten the two bolts holding the tank to the bowl, but be careful not to tighten too much or you will cracked the tank.

I would suggest shaking the tank that holds the water to see if it is simply loose. It should move very little. You can tighten the two bolts holding the tank to the bowl, but be careful not to tighten too much or you will cracked the tank.

This ended up doing the trick. For some reason it also started leaking at the water inflow cable when I went to check on your suggestion so I tightened that up as well. Thanks!

Back