Water Pressure Regulator (Apollo PR 36)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

My toilets just started exhibiting symptoms of water hammer - I installed water hammer arrestors at each supply valve and this fixed the problem. But it got me wondering about the water pressure regulator. So I hooked up a pressure gauge and the PSI was above 90. So I backed the adjustment bolt out and checked again. The pressure went down, but eventually crept back to 90+. I backed the bolt out some more and the same thing happens—the pressure goes down, but slowly creeps back up above 90. Does this mean my pressure regulator is bad? Thank you in advance for any education provided!

pic of my regulator:
IMG_2034.jpeg

Yes, that is the basic failure mode of a PRV. They get mineral deposits inside that cause the valve not to move to regulate the pressure. There are rebuild kits available, but they are iffy in my opinion. I would recommend replacing the PRV.

Sometimes you can just open the regulator up, clean the debris and junk off the gaskets and lubricate it. Reassemble and it could be fine.
If you have no o ring lubricant, you can get away with virgin olive oil
Hello,

My toilets just started exhibiting symptoms of water hammer - I installed water hammer arrestors at each supply valve and this fixed the problem. But it got me wondering about the water pressure regulator. So I hooked up a pressure gauge and the PSI was above 90. So I backed the adjustment bolt out and checked again. The pressure went down, but eventually crept back to 90+. I backed the bolt out some more and the same thing happens—the pressure goes down, but slowly creeps back up above 90. Does this mean my pressure regulator is bad? Thank you in advance for any education provided!

pic of my regulator:
View attachment 43489
You

Back