Water pressure low-then shuts off-Have to reset breaker

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbe618

Reaction score
It started about 2 weeks ago. We are on a well and have never had issues. The water pressure in all of our outlets (shower and faucets) started getting low and then just yesterday, it stopped all together. Our circuit breaker did not appear to be tripped, but if we shut the 'water/pump' switch off and then on, the water came back on. If you check the pressure in the tank, the pressure is fine, in fact, great. The filter is clear. Had a plumber here who didn't seem to know what was going on, but replaced the pressure gauge and pressure switch. Paid him, thought it was fixed, got in the shower a few hours later and it the water stopped again. Went down, shut the breaker off and then on, and it's back. What could be going on?? The pump is new (2 years), and from all of his tests, is fine. He tested the electrical connections on it and those also seemed fine. But we need to know what is going on. Any ideas??

Thanks...Matt

You should call a pump repair person or a well driller who does service. Most plumbers are not pump repairmen. If the breaker is tripping, it could be something as simple as a bad breaker. It could be that the pump is pulling high amps for whatever reason, but normally the overload on the pump motor will trip before the breaker will. Without an amp meter, the plumber wouldn't know if the pump is operating normally or not. He should also have an ohm meter to check the wires and the windings in the motor.

Your tank could be waterlogged causing the pump to cycle rapidly and trip the breaker.

With more info, we might be more helpful.

The plumber had an amp meter and the pump was pulling 6 amps. No reason for the 40 amp breaker to trip.
Still unsure what could be going on.

Any thing anyone could think of would be great.

Thanks

I will tell you I had a similar experience with a breaker which would occasionally "pop" and found out it was just weak and needed replacing. Since I am not a licensed electrician, please take my advice with a grain of salt as I would surely hate to be the reason for a catastrophic electrical failure from a guy named "Jethro" from a plumbing forum. :)

You could check your tank by turning on a faucet then going to where the tank is and see how often the pump cycles off and on.

Back