Water pressure coming into meter too high?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They likely didn't have any failures with their meters because although the meters have a Maximum Operating Pressure, the actual Design Pressure is actually higher then that. A factor of safety must be incorporated in all devices.
If there were failures, the manufacturer wouldn't likely stand behind the product if it was subjected to pressures exceeding the rated Maximum Operating Pressure.

Several years back there was a new urban sprawl called Ranch San Diego. water pressure was in the low 200 psi.
150 is normal in some areas around here. So what they started doing after the house PRV's kept blowing out is they put Higher range (75 -125) PRV at the meters.
These would better protect the main to house and the a standard ( 25 - 75 ) prv at the house. Install a permanent gauge before the 2nd prv so you have a bit of warning when the HR goes out

Several years back there was a new urban sprawl called Ranch San Diego. water pressure was in the low 200 psi.
150 is normal in some areas around here. So what they started doing after the house PRV's kept blowing out is they put Higher range (75 -125) PRV at the meters.
These would better protect the main to house and the a standard ( 25 - 75 ) prv at the house. Install a permanent gauge before the 2nd prv so you have a bit of warning when the HR goes out
Is the (HR) you are referring to the higher range PRV? I am assuming it is. Anyway talked today with someone who has done several setups in the front of my subdivision with even higher readings than the 203 I have according to him. He is leaving the standard PRV that was installed at time of construction and putting another at the street between the meter and sprinkler system. He says the leaving the existing PRV in the garage is good insurance. I will suggest to him putting a gauge before the existing garage PRV. I like that idea in because I can easily see and monitor it whenever in the garage. Good thinking IMO Mr_David

For anyone that is interested. Have had another PRV valve installed in front of my water meter at street. It is the same one installed in my garage, The Wilkins Zurn NR3XL, It really lowered the excessive high pressure/misting on my sprinkler system and it now sprays like it was intended and I don't notice any water in the in ground box where the sprinkler valves for each zone, wires and other connections are made. The additional PRV apparently has corrected the problems I have been having. One other item of note. I was there with my sprinkler tech the entire time he was doing the job. He pointed out to me the water line going to the house ahead of the sprinkler system was rated for 165 psi and as those that have read the previous posts are aware. The psi from the meter was approx. 203 psi. He said the pipe going to the house was a ticking time bomb that would have eventually failed and when that happens the line to the inside PRV would have to be replaced. He said he has had to replace several in the subdivision that had failed and the cost of materials and labor was not cheap. To those that say it is impossible to have water pressure to your home that high you might want to rethink that. The tip off for me was repeated blow outs of sprinkler system components and misting sprayers. You can see more about over pressured spray heads and misting on You Tube and also Hunter internet sites. Don't assume your pressure can't possibly be that high and ignore it. Have your water department come out and "CHECK" the pressure even it someone tells you it is impossible for it to be that high. The check was free in my case. Good luck to all and be proactive instead of reactive.

In most states there are regulatory requirements which govern water pressure at the point of delivery. Which is almost universally, less than 100-psi.

If folks would actually complete their profiles, it would be fairly easy to check what regulations are in effect.

In most states there are regulatory requirements which govern water pressure at the point of delivery. Which is almost universally, less than 100-psi.

If folks would actually complete their profiles, it would be fairly easy to check what regulations are in effect.
I have completed my profile which will tell you my location. The water department tech informed me they are well aware of high pressure in this south end of our county. He also said on the north end of our county the pressure may bee a 1/3 of this level. My take was they didn't intend to lower the pressure and it was up to the individual homeowner of business to check and take precautions against damage. I am assuming that most plumbers do not check the psi in the area when doing new construction installs and just assume the psi is less that 100 psi as you speak of so therefore they assume the piping they install will therefore handle the psi delivered from the water supplier. All I can do is assume. Not sure whose job it is to make sure the installed piping is adequate to handle the excessive psi. Should the county be informing builders? Should the plumbers check this out beforehand and size according to the pressure? Should inspectors check this out ? Don't know. But someone is dropping the ball in this case.

All plumbing codes limit pressure into a residence to 80 psi max.
Sounds to me like the codes ought to be changed to include that all the piping under the plumbing jurisdiction be limited to 80 psi. That would get the PRV's in the locations where they should be to protect the homeowners.

I am not understanding your system,
do you have back flow prevention after the meter before the sprinkler system?
You need a pressure reducing valve after the meter.
You're late to the party.
He has 200+ psi water pressure at the meter, located in an exterior box I believe.
From there it first fed the sprinkler system where it was raising hell with the sprinkler heads.
He already had a PRV in the house but was concerned with sprinkler system as well as buried piping that was subject to pressures in the 200+ area. He is responsible for that buried water service.
One of his latest comments informed use that he had a RPV installed at the meter. Problem solved.
EDIT: When he says "before" I'm pretty sure he means "downstream".

Last edited:
Let me simplify and clarify. At the street I have around 200 psi coming into the meter. 2 days ago a "second" PRV was installed after the water meter and before the sprinkler system and the line continuing into garage. The original was installed next to the water heater in the garage to prevent all kinds of interior damage to line and components on line. I set this myself to around 60-65 psi to prevent any damage. The installing plumber had adjusted to around 80 or 85 psi if memory servers me correctly. Added a sprinkler system 2 yrs. later. The system kept blowing out components and sprinkler heads were misting instead of spraying. The contractor that installed the sprinkler system charged me to replace a valve which later blew out again due to the high pressure. This guy was a jackass who only wanted to keep returning for repairs and more money and never once mentioned putting an additional PRV at the meter. He was fired and I found someone else who told me also the pressure was extremely high. Had water dept. out and registered about 200 psi. My new sprinkler guy said he could correct all of this and prevent failure of the line into house by adding a second PRV at street in front of meter. He installed another Wilkins Zurn model NR3Xl ( the same PRV I have in my garage) and it solved my problems. Some posters here have said the pressure cannot possibly be that high. Well it is in my case. Believe what you want and just because code says it should only be 80 psi doesn't mean that always happens. In this neighborhood the excessive pressure is causing problems for many. Thanks to all for your feedback and advice.

You're late to the party.
He has 200+ psi water pressure at the meter, located in an exterior box I believe.
From there it first fed the sprinkler system where it was raising hell with the sprinkler heads.
He already had a PRV in the house but was concerned with sprinkler system as well as buried piping that was subject to pressures in the 200+ area. He is responsible for that buried water service.
One of his latest comments informed use that he had a RPV installed at the meter. Problem solved.
EDIT: When he says "before" I'm pretty sure he means "downstream".
Thanks for your input and you are right. I thank you for not making snarky comments and telling me pressure that high at my home is regulated and not possible. Many times things escape being done to code. You get it.

Thanks for your input and you are right. I thank you for not making snarky comments and telling me pressure that high at my home is regulated and not possible. Many times things escape being done to code. You get it.
It's not in the plumbing codes because it doesn't fall under the plumbing jurisdiction.
In fact contractors that put in water mains, etc., typically are not plumbers.

As far as the pressure. I couldn't believe the 250 psi but after you checked it out a couple of other ways, I no longer doubted the 220psi. As I recall you did finally say that the 250 psi was a misquote.
All's well that ends well!

Last edited:
hoschton, ga 30548 about 45 miles northeast of downtown Atlanta just off Interstate 85. Not sure why it did not take when I saved the info.

only the state is necessary,
with that, we can determine what code you are under,
their are different codes for different areas, anything we tell you here code wise
needs to be verified by your plumbing inspector because of different codes for different townships

It would be nice to see where everyone is from, not just the people asking questions. Today they can tell me what state or
country their in and by tomorrow I have already forgotten. I would think that would be part of this software.

Per, Georgia Environmental Protection Division which has regulatory control of all public water systems in the state:

MINIMUM STANDARDS FOR
PUBLIC WATER SYSTEMS
May, 2000
Drinking Water Permitting & Engineering Program Georgia Environmental Protection Division 205 Butler Street, S.E.
Floyd Towers East, Suite # 1362
Atlanta, Georgia 30334

7.1.1 f. “The system must be designed to maintain a minimum pressure of 20 psi at each service connection and at all points in distribution system under all conditions of flow. The normal working pressure in the distribution system should be approximately 60 psi and not less than 35 psi.”

7.1.1 g. “Wide variations in pressure above the minimum requirement of 20 psi may be inherent in the design of a distribution system but pressures no greater than 100 psi should be delivered to the customer (unless higher pressures are requested.) The 100 psi maximum pressures can be met by pressure reducing valves in vicinity of each customer's source line, or by designing the distribution system to limit the maximum pressure.”

I recommend that you call the Georgia Environmental Protection Division and get them involved. Also, contact the Board of Professional Engineers, and get them involved. This is a matter of gross negligence on the part of the Engineer who designed the system.

The system is responsible for the cost of the pressure reduction, not you. Send them the bill, and see what happens.

All the states have very similar regulations, because the federal clean water act, gave the EPA, jurisdiction over water systems, and gave them the authority to delegate that authority to the States, if the State has regulation and monitoring equal or more stringent than the EPA regulations.

So the above requirements are the EPA direction, and are the standard nearly everywhere in the nation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back