Water line run above ground feezing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob42394

Reaction score
Hello, So, I have a situation and though well, maybe some plumbers out there might be of help.

Here it goes: I live in the South, Memphis TN. No it is not 80 here year round as a lot of people think. We do however have mild winters compared to a lot of the country. It is common here to go into the low 20's or high teens. It doesn't usually last long maybe a week or so and then it will be back in the 30's or 40's. Once in a while we will get a cold a snap where it is down to 5 to 10 but, it is rare.

I am going to build a barn and need water for the horses. To put in a well is very expensive and I don't want to go that route. To run city water it is also going to be very expensive and they will want to put in a 2nd meter separate from my house.

So, the least expensive way I know to run it is from my house. I can just use a ditch witch and run across the pasture to where the barn is to be built so that is no problem. The problem is to come from my house the line will have to run down a very steep hill and across a ravine that is about 20 ft wide before I can start digging the trench to bury the rest of it in. So, all total there will be probably 75-100 ft or so above ground.

No, before you start preaching, I know it is not a good idea. But, any thoughts out there how I might make this work considering we don't go for months at a time with sub zero temps.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Around here they use hdpe water pipe butt fusioned together for above ground work. Usually it is temporary but it seems to hold up better than most other materials. For your crossing you can sleeve it inside a steel pipe.

Another thing that might help is hook it to an irrigation valve at the house so it fills the horse stuff on a timer and drains itself when it shuts off? Just a thought.

I have worked in Memphis, I have a friend in SouthHaven ms and a Bil in Mount juliet

i know your weather VERY well. it gets cold as a SOB their and snows/ sleets nasty weather.

you need to bury that pipe or it will bust

run that ditch witch thru that lil ole creek...

steep hill...drop the boom...head down that hill

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back