Water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYnovice

Reaction score
i just bought a home and they have both the electric water heater and hot water routed through the propane boiler... I just want to use the electric water heater but it won’t pull to the faucets... hot water just pours out of the release valve... what is my easy fix for this issue

You will have to physically seperate boiler from hot line. Since it is second in series from your description. Your dumping hot water into a cold vessel. From your description. So get 2 sharkbite couplings and a 10’ stick of pipe. 4 sharkbite caps. Cut hot side of electric and hot side of boiler. Connect a shark and the pipe to hot side of electric and fish over and reconnect to house supply (hot side no longer connected to boiler). Then cap the lines you left exposed and turn gas valve on black pipe of boiler off. Not the boilers valve. The black pipe valve before it gets to boiler.

i just bought a home and they have both the electric water heater and hot water routed through the propane boiler... I just want to use the electric water heater but it won’t pull to the faucets... hot water just pours out of the release valve... what is my easy fix for this issue
Sorry but unlike the others, I can't clearly follow you description.
Is it piped to a propane fired heating boiler, which also has a separate hot water line for domestic use. Then it goes to an electric water heater.(Storage tank type?)
Hot water is coming out the Pressure & temperature relief valve on the electric water heater?
What does, "it won’t pull to the faucets" mean?
Pictures are definitely needed.
Depending how these units are piped and valved together, I can envision all kinds of scenarios.

I think he is using his tankess to pre heat the hwh unless he has changed the outlet temp to higher than what the relief can handle check or change the relief valve

which relief valve …….the hot water heater or the boiler???????

0C6EB192-80CB-49A0-9D3C-6409C55830F3.jpeg 9F931CBA-887B-4074-9555-D29C8F576B58.jpeg 56F86FBB-1153-448C-A6B9-7CDC0EAEF199.jpeg 82DD733E-AF48-4B4A-BCD0-401BAF766AE1.jpeg A3739A65-9DAC-47AA-A1DE-061AE4C4A714.jpeg 842FB5E4-BC28-45C6-8D72-2CF2248C5340.jpeg 08B1517E-1A1E-4A6C-BB4F-F6EFD7E39B9F.jpeg 92B2BEED-F128-4096-92FA-98D273F02A93.jpeg My electric water heater is on the southwest side of the house right next to my electric panel, the boiler is on the opposite corner of the home on the northeast and my well water comes in the home on the southeast corner. The relief valve that water comes out of is the electric water heater and when I said my faucets won’t pull from the electric water heater I mean the hot water won’t come out of the faucets but the water out of the relief valve is very hot so I know the coil works

whats the temp on your tankless......are you getting hot water at your laundry????shower valve??????do you have a temp gauge that you could put under the relief valve when it dumps?????

I don’t know anything about boilers. But did anyone notice the circ system valves are off. Would that cause to much heat and build and cause relief to open? Op is the relief valve water extremely steaming hot? I think your quickest option is bitting the bullet and waiting for a plumber. Your boiler might be a primary source for your central heat. The electric one is going to be your most wasteful monthly expense.

Last edited:
I believe the OP should determine...

If the boilers Hot Water feeds the Electric Water Heater or vise versa? It doesn't appear that they do based on the piping shown at the washing machine.
How and where are the two hot water sources connected together?
If that Cold Water valve feeding the electric water heater is OPEN.
I assume there is cold water available at the washing machine, which is the same line that feeds the electric water heater. Yet there is no water coming from the HW faucet at the washing machine???

I don’t know anything about boilers. But did anyone notice the circ system valves are off. Would that cause to much heat and build and cause relief to open? Op is the relief valve water extremely steaming hot? I think your quickest option is bitting the bullet and waiting for a plumber. Your boiler might be a primary source for your central heat. The electric one is going to be your most wasteful monthly expense.
Yes, I noticed that the valves above the circulators are off. However, although I don't know why they would be shut off, that should have no impact on the domestic hot water side.
We have yet to find out how or if these two domestic HW systems are connected.
This stuff is like a guessing game.

Yeah until we here back on which ones has been tried. We just measuring egos without a judge. Lol

water to heater.jpg Isn't this the cold water feed to the water heater? Probably closed.:p

Oops, forgot the picture.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back