Water Heater Venting Issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjmlakota

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm finally in town to visit my parents and see their new (used) house. While looking around in the basement I noticed the hot water tank was fairly new. I have a little knowledge of DIY stuff and right away noticed the venting didn't look right. The tank is taller than the vent tube that goes out the chimney, so whoever installed it used a flex line B-Type double walled. Is this safe seeing there are bends in the line? I always thought it had to be a straight run. I'd like to fix this while I'm in town if it's incorrect. What options do I have to correct the issue if there is one?

Thanks in advance,

RJ

20180116_163142.jpg

Voleti,

Thanks for the reply. I went out last night an bought a 90 but it won't line up with the existing pipe. It's too high. Do you know if they sell a smaller 90 online?

Thanks again,

RJ

20180114_150508.jpg

Last edited:
I can try that. If when I cut it down it still doesn't line up, is there a shorter 90 that can be purchased?

Thanks,

RJ

Possibly, but I can guarantee since you are dealing with specific parameters, you would also have to cut the new elbow down, so why bother?

Yeah, your right. I'll try that and see how it goes!

Thanks for all the help!

RJ

If worse comes to worse knock a hole a little higher on the chimney and then cement the old hole shut. If you cant get that water heater vented properly then put a low boy in instead of a tall.

Back