Water Heater Temps?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not off hand, and I think it varies by brand... check a source with a thermomitor.

youre kidding right ?
not true ^ water heaters MUSt maintain a water temperature of 140' F to inhibit the formation on legonella bacteria.

I guarantee B is 140 or better. Though my palce is on a boiler, otherwise id crank my hwt to A and check the temp of the supply water with a Thermomitor.

Where DID you get this info from Plumbingjim17 ?

Liquid, though I have recently heard rumors of changes coming, the general norm in the US that I have always heard is setting water heaters to 120 degrees Farenheit to help prevent scalding injuries.

I understand that this is not hot enough to completely kill off all pathogens, but this has been the accepted standard here for some time.

I see, the max temperature at a point of use is 120 but 140 is the recomended settign ( here ) and It is starting to become code that the heater be set to 140 as Legonella thrive in temperatures of 120 to 132 'F . We are supposed ( though it doesnt always happen ) to set the HWT temperature to 140 minimum and install Point of use anti scald devices to supply water at a safe 120', or at least a anti scald valve on the outgoing of the HWT. its more critical in commercial use as the users could Sue if scalded, there was a story a while back about a guy nearly losing his shirt when a cartridge was installed backwards and a lady recieved 140' water instead of the initial cold and then progressive hotter water limiting at 120'

in houses It becomes the choice of the homeowner.

really?? wow. I stand corrected.

though I am sure ive set HWT's to b and gotten 140 water, I could be mistaken and in all honesty the last ones ive installed I've set to med. ( low med high are the settings i see often ) and not checked the temp after it was hot.. try explaining that to the customer when they get the bill " i had to wait an hour for the water to get up to temp" I will be curious to investigate

appologies to plumbing jim also if i came off harsh, I was sure he must be mistaken.. my bad.

Back