Water Heater Recommendation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msslrb

Reaction score
Hi. I need help with choosing an electrical commercial water heater. The current water heater installed is a 40 gallon residential heater. The down stairs faucets take a really long time to get hot.

Downstairs (takes a long time to get hot)
-11 sinks
-1 dishwasher

Upstairs (gets hot quicker than downstairs)
-3 sinks
-2 washers

Attic
-1 shower
-2 sinks
-1 dishwasher
-steam room (not sure if the water heater would come into play)

Should I opt for 2 smaller units vs 1 large unit? Space is limited. Thanks!

A new water heater will not get hot water to the faucets any quicker. That would require a recirculation system. How many fixtures are used at the same time, or back to back? Do you run out of hot water often with the current water heater?

A new water heater will not get hot water to the faucets any quicker. That would require a recirculation system. How many fixtures are used at the same time, or back to back? Do you run out of hot water often with the current water heater?
6 sinks are hand-washing sinks, so those wouldn't require much. Those would be used during business hours possibly at the same time. 7 sinks are restroom sinks all open during business hours as well. 2 sinks are break room sinks. 1 sink is for an apartment kitchenette. 1 sink is a utility sink that wouldn't be used often. The shower and the 2 washers as well as the shower would probably be the biggest concern. The washers would be used at anytime during the day.

I recently purchased the building, so I can't answer the question about running out of water.

The down stairs faucets take a really long time to get hot.
As your issue is "takes a long time to get hot", the best fix is what GRyenolds929 said, a hot water circulating system. That involves modification to the existing piping which could be rather complicated with that many fixtures, as it depends on how everything is plumbed.

Another possible remedy would be modifying the piping and installing two or maybe three water heaters closer to the users.

In any case, a detailed sketch with piping lengths and sizes would be required to provide a better answer. Or call a good plumbing company to come in and provide their recommendation.

Latest posts

Back