Water heater pressure valve still blows after new heater and regulator

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martyszy1

Reaction score
Water heater pressure valve issues < Zman1234 > 2018-03-27 14:44

GF apt building last tenant on 2nd floor away from main water line in water heater pressure release valve started blowing a month or so ago so had "the plumber" replace pressure valve. He had to move the heater to access it because of another water heater too close. Week later water heater leaking so replace water heater. Pressure release valve on new heater blowing, the tenant does take hour showers. The plumber puts in a regulator at the meter and tests at 55psi. Confirmed. New water heater still blowing I have clear hose into 5 gal pail not too bad but $1800 later the same problem is a load of ****. The manufacturers manual says that an expansion tank should be fitted but the plumber insists on the regulator it will solve your issue. It didnt. So I am thinking of putting the expansion tank on I have sweated lotsa pipe. Also thinking about connecting the two water heaters with a stainless washer hose to the clean out bibbs to act as an expansion tank. Tank is turned down to warm now and the latest pressure reading is 118 I have the dial meter. Any inputs? the house is older and has galvanized and copper in various configs everywhere and is a pita.

My guess... thermal expansion. Install an expansion tank on the cold supply.... make sure wh is not turned up too high

Yes to the expansion tank. Sounds like the water when heated is not able to expand. I wonder if there is a check valve or backflow device installed someplace preventing thermal exspansion? That would be the next thing I'd check for after checking water pressure which you said had already been addressed.

Latest posts

Back