water heater pressure relief valve -calif.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAC21

Reaction score
I need to R&R my orig. (1990) home water heater. I'm located in San Bernardio County CA.

It's highly unlikely that the current copper piping from the relief valve will line up with the new water heater. By code can I keep this fix simple by cutting back the pipe about 10 inches from the relief valve and then sweat on a threaded connector. At that point use a flexible copper line directly from the relief valve to the threaded connector? Or do I have to keep it all solid copper tubing?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
If you have to sweat, why not just sweat on new rigid pipe? As far as a flex line, I really don't know what the code says about it, if anything at all.

If you have to sweat, why not just sweat on new rigid pipe? As far as a flex line, I really don't know what the code says about it, if anything at all.

Good point, but I just found this in the city of San Jose building code

The following 11 items pertain to T & P valve installation requirements :
1. Each T & P valve shall be an approved type with a drain.
2. A union must be installed in the drain line near the water heater to facilitate removal and replacement of the water heater and/or the T & P valve. Exception: If a water heater can be replaced without adversely affecting the drainpipe installation, the union may be omitted.

Of course I don't live in San Jose, but it sure may apply. if I understand this correctly, the new requirement is for a "union" which I take as a disconnect point in the drain line to permit the tank/ valve replacement. Currently I have to cut through my piping to get the relief valve off, so maybe the flexible tubing would be the union on the new install. All so confusing.

your in luck, i service the riverside and san bernardino county area, only hard pipe plumbed to the outside is OK, now pvc or copper flex, however if this is your own home and it is NOT getting inspected... why not, serioulsly, all the t&p does is run the water out side if it trips... i asked the inspecter once in upland why cant i use the flex, he said well once we had on old school plumber working for us and he said it was NOT ok... personly now i know why they work for the city, cuz they SUCK.. go ahead lil one, use the flex as long as it is plumbed outside, and im talking no more than 24 inch flex

Back