water heater pilot does not stay lit.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
So I replaced my water heater about two years ago and it has been working fine until a couple days ago. Now I light the pilot and everything is fine then I go out an hour later and it is off again. What can I do.

Chris said:
So I replaced my water heater about two years ago and it has been working fine until a couple days ago. Now I light the pilot and everything is fine then I go out an hour later and it is off again. What can I do.

What kind of heater is it? Chances are its just a thermocouple but Raheem has a temperature crystal in the bottom that if overheated due to poor air flow and overheat will burst and close the air damper. If its not a Raheem I would say thermocouple

Tco switch likely. What size is your venting off the heater? If its 3" it should be increased to 4". I'm guessing 40 gallon water heater, and replace the switch. Or like Reed said If its a rheem. If it was the thermocouple it wouldn't stay lit all, but I it stays lit for a while then goes out its probably not the thermocouple.

Just a add-on to the other posts --- make sure your combustion air chamber is clean by blowing out with air or vacuum it , dirty chamber causes TCO problems. If that is not the issue, you can determin if it's a thermocouple or gas valve problem by testing the gas valve drop out time, to test -- turn gas valve to pilot, relight pilot, let thermocouple heat up for a couple minutes then blow out pilot flame and start counting while listening for a click in the gas valve, the click should come between 53sec to a 80sec. If click falls in this range your gas valve is good and the thermocouple is bad , if click comes before 53sec and long after 80sec your gas valve is bad. The click sound is the gas to the burners being cut off by the gas valve.

It is a Sears Kenmore 40 gallon. Made in 2010 very clean in a very clean area. The whole thing still looks brand new but obviously it has a problem.

It is in my garage just inside the one car portion that rarely gets opened. Over the last year or so it has blown out when I have that door open on a windy day.

Chris , post a photo of your water heater -- it could be as simple as cleaning the flame arrestor or LDO screen

Will do in the morning when there is some light. Today it stayed on for several hours before going out again.

Does this heater have a sealed combustion chamber? It may be the high limit switch. It is normally a closed switch and may be failing. Pull the two wires off and Push the two terminal connectors together with a paper clip of copper wire. This will bypass the switch and allow you to troubleshoot if this is the problem or not.

Keep in mind that this may be doing its job and you could have another problem causing high heat...

image-1766195355.jpg

Here are some pics. Let me know if you need more. Yesterday it stayed lit all day but sometime in the night it shut down.

IMG_20121015_083537.jpg

IMG_20121015_083556.jpg

IMG_20121015_083545.jpg

IMG_20121015_083614.jpg

IMG_20121015_083620.jpg

Chris said:
Nobody?..........

I'm still gonna go with thermocouple, either that or there is something wrong with the vent/diverter

I'm thinking thermocouple too, but IFIXH20 was Dropping some serious knowledge about the gas control valve... Lol

If it were me, I'd change the thermocouple first and see what happens!

Chris , it may be your thermocouple, but I would check the gas valve drop out time before & after replacing the thermocouple , make sure the thermocouple is adjusted proper -- the piolt flame should be on the tip to about 1/2 way down the thermocouple. Get a heavy duty K16RA Theromcouple.

OK I know nothing about water heaters so if you could give me some pretty good directions that would be awesome. Also I am leaving on a trip for a week so I won't be gettin to this till the end of the month.

OK I know nothing about water heaters so if you could give me some pretty good directions that would be awesome. Also I am leaving on a trip for a week so I won't be gettin to this till the end of the month.

Take a vacation and we'll knock it out when you get back

So it seems the pilot stayed lit my entire vacation, I came home to hot water. What gives?

Chris it is possible you have a bad gas control . I have seen cases when the main burners come on or turns off and the pilot light goes out. With you'll gone on vacation the water heater did not cycle as often. Your heater parts may be still under warranty If so call a plumber. See if the nut on the thermocouple is tight at the gas control

Back