Water heater gas supply issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlspaid

Reaction score
Our water heater's pilot light will extinguish from time to time when the gas pool heater lights up. It's as though the pool heater momentarily drops the gas supply pressure to a point where the pilot light looses it's supply just for an instant. I'm wondering if there's a pressure regulator that I should install at the pool heater to help regulate the gas pressure so it doesn't drop so dramatically. Thank you for your guidance.

If you are referring to natural gas, the pressure is regulated by the size of your meter as well as the diameter of the pipes servicing your appliances. I would recommend contacting your gas company and explaining your concerns. When I added my pool and heater, it was necessary for the gas company to come out and install a larger gas meter so I would not lose all my pressure when the pool heater was fired up.

was a gas load calculation done when the pool heater was installed? i find that some pool guys will tie a 200-300,000 btu heater in any where it is most convenient and will starve the rest of the house. best thing todo is to run a separate line from the meter to the pool heater either thru the house or under ground outside and you may still have to get your meter tweeked.

Thank you for the responses. The natural gas supply is definitely not keeping up. I have no idea about load. Where would you start? Would you call the gas company? Or would you call a plumber?

I would start with the gas company. Everything they do and say will be free advice. Usually great customer service oriented people.

I have had a same issue with my water heater. The original water heater I had was to small and updating that resolved my issue.

Back