Water heater failed, warranty question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmrowe

Reaction score
My AO Smith Conservationist 40 gal water heater failed today on year 9 of 10 in the warranty.

My question is this: In the manual it says that the warranty only applies to the original owner -- which I think is complete crap. How do they verify this? We moved into the home a couple years ago and I am wondering if there are any ways around this 'original owner' statement. Can I play dumb and get it replaced under warranty like it should be?

Is it going to be best to contact the people who installed the heater or AO Smith themselves?

Thanks!

1. If the original owner filled out the warranty card (most don't) and sent it in with all of their info along with the serial number and model of the tank, you would have to have all of their info because it would be in the AO Smith database. This would be discovered when the serial number is entered.
2. Technically by lying you are committing fraud. You can play dumb, but that's up to you. I don't think that the hot-water-tank-police are monitoring all of the plumbing forums. Your call.
3. The warranty has specific details which could void the warranty and you should look into those before raising a stink. What exactly failed? The tank or the other components? Most warranties only cover the tank. I believe this is the case with your tank (two anodes). Do you have high pressure, hard water with a softener or need proof of maintenance to keep the warrant valid? These are things you may run into when dealing with manufacturers.

4. Most important. The people you talk to at customer service didn't make the tank, they didn't install it and they don't own it. They are just doing a job the best that they can and are usually very good and very helpful. A little patience and calm conversation can get a lot more accomplished than just going off on somebody that you've never met. I have had a lot of success dealing with cust. serv. by just being nice. As the saying goes, you can attract more bees with honey than you can with vinegar.

Manuals contains a lot of things to protect the manufacturer/seller. There is a big chance the the issue of ownership won't even come up when you file a warranty claim.

Manuals contains a lot of things to protect the manufacturer/seller. There is a big chance the the issue of ownership won't even come up when you file a warranty claim.

This is exactly what happened. I was worrying over nothing.

Latest posts

Back