Water heater expansion tank leaking

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So... finally my daughter calls the company that installed the water heater. The guy comes and admits that they likely didn't pump the tank bladder up to line pressure initially and that since there is no pressure reducing valve in place, the tank might not be needed in the first place. Claims that AO Smith requires the tank for warranty purposes. Installs new tank with bladder pumped up to 80#, 10# over tested line pressure, leaves a fat bill which my daughter pays. Now she agrees that if this tank fails I can put a plug in place of the tank.
AO smith doesn’t require an expansion tank.

Probably ignorance more than a lie from the installer. It sounded good to him 🤣

I would’ve had to say “ since you admit the guy who installed it didn’t pump up the expansion tank to proper pressure and since AO smith requires it……I want a brand new water heater “

Your negligence could’ve damaged the heater per AO smith……

🤡🤣🤣

Things can get sideways quick.. 🫶

Could an insufficient pre-charge be the reason the previous tank's bladder failed? The installer told me that previously they were installing them with whatever pre-charge came from the factory and not upping the pre-charge to match the line pressure.
I think they put 50 psi as a pre charge.

I don’t think it’ll hurt the bladder, it just won’t work. It’s probably not good for it, as it would be expanded by the water and stay that way.

If you didn’t have a closed system then it wasn’t working anyway.

Back