Water hammer caused by hot water tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ_Poop

Reaction score
I know this may sound strange but about 6 months ago we received a new washer to replace our old one under warranty as they could not fix it in time. The new washer turns the water on and off a lot faster and more frequently then the old front load. It was then I noticed the hammer was getting louder and louder, I followed the washer lines in the basement and secured them every 3 feet hoping this would help. It did not, after standing my the water meter where the noise is coming from I decided to shut off the cold inlet to the HWT and magically the hammer went away. Does anyone know a solution to this problem? Side note I have had a few issues with the back flow check valve in the dip tube of the HWT getting stuck and losing hot water sometimes or the pressure will drop off and then hear a clunk and the water pressure rises again.

Thanx in advance for any help

Richard

You should have hammer arresters installed on both the hot and cold water lines to your washer. The hammer is caused from valves that open and close very quickly. The arresters will stop the water hammer.

The newer clothes washers turn the water on and off very fast causing you problem. As stated above you need hammer arrestors. These connect between the washer hose and the faucet and work very well.

5DME1_AS01.jpg

Sorry I forgot to mention, one of the first things I tried was to install a hammer arrester between the washer and the laundry shutoff. That did nothing to help solve the hammer issue, we also only use the washer on cold setting never hot. I ran a cycle with the cold valve off and just the hot open and the hammer is not nearly as bad, vice versa with the hot closed and the cold open its the same amount of bang. I just find it odd that turning the shut off to the cold water supply of the HWT seems to solve the hammer when the washer is adding water.

It's sounding as if you have high house pressure. With no other water running in the house, you can test your water pressure at a hose connection with a gauge. Many home improvement stores and hardware stores have them.
The owners manual should have the recommended pressure listed somewhere in the book. This is also very important if you call for any warranty repairs, so let us know when you get the reading.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, i was out of town with work. I bought a pressure gauge and it was reading 50psi with nothing else running in the house. Any more help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Do you have a pressure reducing valve , Is there a expanison tank at the water heater ? If your t&p valve keep opening then the valve spring is weak or you have other issues causing it to open.

Back