Water hammer arrester retrofit on washing machine valve?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkcali

Reaction score
I have installed water hammer arresters on both the hot and cold lines of my washing machine valve with an 80% reduction in hammer noise. I installed the kind that screw on to the 1/2" outlets (Sioux Chief 660-H). The problem is (I think) the washing machine will quickly turn the water off/on over a short period of time and I don't think the arresters can keep up with the fast cycle. Hence, they temporarily stop working when the washer has these moments of quickly switching the water off/on. So my thought is to add more arresters to provide additional support.

I have this dual valve:
21hgcqJlAPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Can I install arresters to the top of this valve? To look something like this:
http://www.plumbest.com/media/catal...78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/B/0/B05-922.jpg

And if so, do I simply remove the screw covers on top and screw in arrestors. Are they 1/2: or 3/8" (Sioux Chief makes both).

I'm trying to find a solution that does not involve paying a plumber to open up the wall to install a T with arresters. $25 vs $500.

Thanks,
TK

I have installed water hammer arresters on both the hot and cold lines of my washing machine valve with an 80% reduction in hammer noise. I installed the kind that screw on to the 1/2" outlets (Sioux Chief 660-H). The problem is (I think) the washing machine will quickly turn the water off/on over a short period of time and I don't think the arresters can keep up with the fast cycle. Hence, they temporarily stop working when the washer has these moments of quickly switching the water off/on. So my thought is to add more arresters to provide additional support.

I have this dual valve:
21hgcqJlAPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Can I install arresters to the top of this valve? To look something like this:
http://www.plumbest.com/media/catal...78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/B/0/B05-922.jpg

And if so, do I simply remove the screw covers on top and screw in arrestors. Are they 1/2: or 3/8" (Sioux Chief makes both).

I'm trying to find a solution that does not involve paying a plumber to open up the wall to install a T with arresters. $25 vs $500.

Thanks,
TK

No you can't install those on your existing valve you would have to replace the entire valve.

John

I hope that I'm not out of line by asking this, but what are the symptoms of the problem that you are trying to solve?
Is there a possibility that you have high pressure and need a pressure reducing valve as well as a thermal expansion tank?
I have seen a few situations like yours in the past that are frustrating when misdiagnosed. Maybe a little background on the situation.
Have you tested your pressure? Do you have a PRV?

Yes, I've had water pressure checked (65psi) and just installed an expansion tank. This alleviated most the problem. At this point I'm trying to completely address the issue with the washing machine water hammer. The mini-resters do work, they just don't seem to keep up with the frequent on/off of the high efficiency washer. I contacted Sioux Chief yesterday and they confirmed that some high efficiency washers do need additional mini-resters. I'll add that to my list of things I hate about this high-efficiency washer. In any case, I'm looking for an economical fix to a somewhat minor issue. Thanks for the quick feedback - I appreciate the help.

Latest posts

Back