Water Hammer after Hot Water Heater work

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaCkaL829

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a question regarding water hammer. About 2 weeks ago I tried repaired my natural gas hot water heater for inconsistent hot water. I removed the cold water inlet and drained my 40 gallon hot water heater. I also tried 'flusing' the water since I was trying to see if I had any sediment on the bottom of my hot water heater. What my friend did was connect the blower end of my shop vac to the cold water inlet which did speed up the drainage of hot water from my tank.

I replaced the dip tube, and reconnected all my pipes back together. Now the hot water heater still isn't work which I believe may be from a calcium build up. But I now have an annoying water hammer. Everytime I turn the hot water off my kitchen sink I can hear hammering in the pipes going up to my bathroom. I've never had this problem before. I'm wondering if there's an easy way to fix this? I'm having a new hot water heater put in next week by a plumber. He said the only way to fix it is by a water hammer arrestor, but I'm not sure I would like to have this kind of work done since I don't have easy access to my highest pipes in my bathroom.

I'm just wondering how this problem occurred and if there is a less intrusive way of fixing it. I ready somewhere if it is air you can run all hot water valves open for a few minutes.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

After you replace the water heater and you still have hammer you can install an arrestor on the water heater supply. does not have to be on a high point of system.

We used to install air chambers inside walls on shower valves and in attic which consisted of a vertical section of pipe with a cap on it. this holds air and acts like a shock absorber. some times the air is absorbed into the water over time. As Frodo suggest if by chance you have these air chambers hidden in the wall, draining the system will recharge them.

Latest posts

Back