Water hammer advice needed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor Scott

Reaction score
Hello, I’m getting water hammer from my toilets and bathroom faucets. I’ve tried a couple different brands of assessors and it didn’t help. I also replaced my water heater expansion tank which was bad and it didn’t help. House water pressure is 56psi. Any advice before I have to call a Plummer ?

Try turning off the main and draining the system at the lowest point. Then slowly turn the main back on, it may help.
I did this a couple weeks ago, before changing out my expansion tank, but I’ll try again

Do you have hammer arrestors on your washing machine?????? You can also install one on your dishwasher
I’m not experiencing water hammer at my washer, and we don’t use the dishwasher.

Honestly it seems to be coming from the same pipe, the same knock in the wall from both bathrooms that are on opposite sides of the wall. Perhaps the pipe is loose. Going to be a pain to get too from atic

Have you replaced both the toilet valves? Is it only the bathroom devices that are hammering? I know when researching our hammering, I read many places that when toiler valves get old they cab chatter and that causes hammering.

Example:
https://www.inman.com/2009/09/16/flushing-away-water-hammer/
I have not replaced both toilet valves but did one recently hoping that was the case too. Didn’t work. My bathroom faucets do it too when shutting off the water.

If you have a pressure reducing valve or a backflow preventer that could be your problem.

I do have a backflow preventer, no pressure regulator. Wasn’t sure if it could cause the hammer

If I closed the valve off to the backflow preventer, would I be able to eliminate that possibility?
I’m not sure how you’d do that without turning off your water.

It’s probably the cause if this problem just popped up out of the blue

I’m not sure how you’d do that without turning off your water.

It’s probably the cause if this problem just popped up out of the blue
I shut off both valves isolating it, I would think that would allow me to rule it out, as it still happens. I’m guessing the pipe needs to be resecured at this point. I don’t know what else it could be

I shut off both valves isolating it, I would think that would allow me to rule it out, as it still happens. I’m guessing the pipe needs to be resecured at this point. I don’t know what else it could be
So you must have a bypass ? How would you get water ?

Ok,you get the idea, it could be any check valve or pressure reducing valve on the main water line. Could be the water meter if you have one.

So you must have a bypass ? How would you get water ?

Ok,you get the idea, it could be any check valve or pressure reducing valve on the main water line. Could be the water meter if you have one.

Well I’m no pro, but I believe this is the way it’s setup. Main goes into house and the other line goes to my irrigation with the backflow valve preventing backflow to main line.

I have no pressure reducing valves or anything else that I’m aware of. There may be a pressure reducing valve from the city at the street and they have their water meter as well. House was built in 2004. Im only getting knock in the wall when toilets are done filling after flush and sometimes the bathroom faucet when they’re turned off. All make the same knock is the same place. 56psi static pressure and 60psi running. I have my water heater expansion tank at 56psi. Water hammer arrestor or on toilet not helping. It’s a sioux chief.D3BE33D7-9AF2-4A4B-BF02-E2888FB68A35.jpeg

Ok, you have an irrigation system also.

Turn it off and see is my best advice. Process of elimination

Ok, you have an irrigation system also.

Turn it off and see is my best advice. Process of elimination
Yeah I did, and not the culprit. I think I’ve eliminated everything I can. I replaced toilet fill valve as well. The city put a new meter in a few years ago. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Appreciate your help. Thank you

If you think you backflow preventer is the issue I always put a spring loaded check valve on the house side of the back flow it keeps the check valves from chattering during pressure fluctuations

Back