Water Filter Under Sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barber

Reaction score
Im replacing my faucet and decided to replace hoses and shut off valves as well.Wife wants a water filter.Anybody put one that just screws in to the hoses underneath? Or are they complicated to install.I want one underneath out of sight.Thanks

You can get one that fairly easily slips into your existing cold line. Get a home testing kit and see what kind of filters would work best for you.

Here is a fairly generic example of an install to give you a rough idea of what you are looking at, work-wise.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwCvH7TilsM&feature=related]YouTube - Installing an Under Sink Water Filter System[/ame]

Now we just sit back and wait for a certain someone to tell us all bout how they hate filter systems :)

Hi. Reviving a thread. I'm about to replace a sink and faucets. We're tired of the look of the clunky Pur filter on the end of the faucet and want to go undersink. Problem I see is that if all the cold water goes through the filter, we'll be replacing the filter cartridges two or three times a month.

I wonder if it is possible to have an easily accessible--like right inside the cabinet door--bypass valve. That way, the filter would normally be bypassed, but when we want drinking water, water for coffee, or water for cooking, we switch back to the filtered water.

As with most of the ideas that come to me, I'm sure there is a major flaw in this one. Can anyone give me a hint as to why this won't work? I will use a professional to do the work, of course.

no reason it cant be done, in fact you can install a filter faucet ( its a small spout seperate from the kitchen sink ) that will supply your drinking water for relatively cheap, they use reverse osmosis for filtering so they mostly deal with taste and odour, which are the primary things that domestic water supplys deal with. if you want something to deal with bactera or suspended solids then there are other options.

no reason it cant be done, in fact you can install a filter faucet ( its a small spout separate from the kitchen sink ) that will supply your drinking water for relatively cheap, they use reverse osmosis for filtering so they mostly deal with taste and odour, which are the primary things that domestic water supplys deal with. if you want something to deal with bactera or suspended solids then there are other options.
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I looked at a couple of those filters and will research further to determine the best type for our Houston water. Problem with those that I have seen is that the little faucets that come with them will not match--not even close--our existing main faucet. Certain parties in the household regard that as unacceptable.

Thanks again. I'll be back. Plumbing has always been kindof a mystery to me. I've only recently finally got a permanent (knock on wood) fix to an upstairs shower that has leaked off and on for 20 years! Now we want to tackle our kitchen sink and thought this would be a good time to go to an undersink filter.

Have a good one.
Bill

IMO... ;) ..., you will want the filtered water on a seperate faucet for drinking and cooking. This is the way I did mine. This will also cut down on the useage of the filter(s) prolonging changes.

There are several styles of beverage faucets (quality) available from suppliers such as KHOELER (SP?).

Back