Water filter system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swiftbug2

Reaction score
Had a well go out and was forced to hook up my other well to my tanks. So far I have pumped 110k gallons over 3.5 days out of it. first problem is when it comes out of the well before hitting the tanks it comes out blackish with a lot of very fine sediment. After pumping clear within 24hrs it's back to dirty. Takes a couple days sitting in a bucket to settle. After going through the pressure and settlement tanks it's still a little dirty but nowhere near as bad. My next problem is the egg smell. I understand this can be hydrogen sulfide. Did a water test with the varify 16 parameter. Everything came back withing acceptable parameters except what looked like slightly elevated hydrogen sulfide that was somewhere between 0 and .5ppm. Also the sulfates looked to be between 200 and 400ppm. I plan to fix the other well but want to get a filtration system first. Was looking at an aio system. I would also like to have a pre filter like a spin down but I'm unsure what to look for with very fine sediment. I'm also unsure what kind of filtration medium to get. A little more info is I'm in Florida so got sandy soil and I'm about a mile from a river. The main well at times had a slight egg smell also. The current well pumps around 22gpm and I have it reduced to 15gpm before going into an 80+ gal tank.

I was looking at the systems from Oxygen Chamber Systems (AIO) (Hydrogen Sulfide, Iron & Manganese Removal)

Attachments

• 1000001237.jpg
    1000001237.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1000001236.jpg
    1000001236.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1000001204.jpg
    1000001204.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
Since you plan on fixing it I assume the pump in your other well went out, not the well itself. Getting the well that doesn't have sediment or sulfur back to working is probably the best solution. A well that makes sediment like that probably doesn't have the right screen and gravel pack, as that is what makes a filter out of the well itself. If the well wasn't done correctly it may always be a problem.

But reducing the flow rate even further below 15 GPM may help with the sediment. The pump will work fine down to as little as 1 GPM flow. At some point the flow will get so low the velocity is not strong enough to bring up the sediment. Aeration is a good way to get rid of the sulfur smell and there are several ways to aerate.

Since you plan on fixing it I assume the pump in your other well went out, not the well itself. Getting the well that doesn't have sediment or sulfur back to working is probably the best solution. A well that makes sediment like that probably doesn't have the right screen and gravel pack, as that is what makes a filter out of the well itself. If the well wasn't done correctly it may always be a problem.

But reducing the flow rate even further below 15 GPM may help with the sediment. The pump will work fine down to as little as 1 GPM flow. At some point the flow will get so low the velocity is not strong enough to bring up the sediment. Aeration is a good way to get rid of the sulfur smell and there are several ways to aerate.
Yeah that's why I was looking at an aio filter for the hydrogen sulfide. Just not sure what filter media to get. Did another well test since installing the reducer and the HS is still between the 0 and .5. ph 6-6.5. I've read that some media require a certain pH range. I might consider reducing down to 10gpm later. Until then also gotta figure out a filter for the fine suspended sediment. I've been told a spin down filter, which I was looking at, wouldnt work well

Latest posts

Back