water all summer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug ziebart

Reaction score
so the pipe and tank sweat pretty bad and i think they need to be wraped but i also have these holes in the brick. they are in numerous places. i believe some of the water may be coming in threw these. has anyone seen this before ? they are all along the back side of the house where the well and septic are. the house is on a hill and the hill pitches down to the back of the house then the hill runs down the front yard..

see attached

thank you for your time in advance

Attachments

• file2-8.jpeg
    file2-8.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 20
  • file1-10.jpeg
    file1-10.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • file-33.jpeg
    file-33.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
so the pipe and tank sweat pretty bad and i think they need to be wraped but i also have these holes in the brick. they are in numerous places. i believe some of the water may be coming in threw these. has anyone seen this before ? they are all along the back side of the house where the well and septic are. the house is on a hill and the hill pitches down to the back of the house then the hill runs down the front yard..

see attached

thank you for your time in advance
I believe that you have a French drain on the inside of the basement.

Typically, to create a French drain, they bust out about a foot of concrete closest to the foundation. They dig down a foot or so, and drill a hole in each cavity if the block. However, that is usually done BELOW the keel of the finished floor. The purpose of the holes is to allow any water out of the block. They fill the trench with stone and 4 inch perforated pic pipe that is typically piped to a sump pit. Any water that comes in, drains to the sump pit, and a sump pump pumps it to the exterior, or sometimes, it is illegally pumped into the main sewer line. Then, they replace the concrete by pouring a 2 or 3 inch layer on the top of the trench, but they typically use a 1x wood to keep that new concrete away from the block wall by about 3/4". Sometimes they use "waffle board" plastic rather than leaving an open channel. Either way, any water coming in drains below the floor.

If tanks are sweating, you need a dehumidifier

go outside with a shovel, dig down next to the house about 24''
and brush the dirt off the block, is it virgin block? or is it sealed with what looks like tar?

block is porous, and it has hollow holes in it, if you do not have water draining AWAY from your foundation
then it is going to seep into the block
to stop the seepage, seal the block. and
rent a backhoe to make a swell in your yard to divert the water away from the house

a house needs to sit on a ''pad'' that extends 10' all the way around the house

Last edited:
If you do have a French drain, check to make sure it has a path to drain (sump or gravity drain). I had one in my house and in addition to shady design it had no effective drain and as stated earlier the angle of the soil around the house was inadequate to ensure that water from rain ran off correctly. This is what I found on mine.

If part of your yard is below the level of the basement floor then the drain may be piped into a clay pipe that runs out to where it can drain naturally. I had one like this and found my clay drain pipe full of small roots that had grown from the exit point the full 50ft to the house.

After cleaning out the drain pipe, I also bored several 18" deep test holes on the deep side of the basement floor to find the wettest point and once located, dug and installed a well and pump at that point of the house so that the water entering the shallow drain field (mine was only dug about 6" deep) would not have to run all the way around the foundation to find the drain and also to reduce the water level a couple of feet below the slab....this worked very well in my situation.

After making all the changes the house never leaked a drop, after about a year the pump quit running after a heavy rain and the sump pit is no dry as the Sahara.

Latest posts

Back