waste water recovery

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waschehaus

Reaction score
Also, does any one know if you can recover waste water from a washing machine? it would need some sort of filter to deal with the detergent.

If you use a biodegradable detergent, it should be OK for general watering, but I would not recommend it for your favorite orchids! Many cities still frown on it, even though they want you to conserve water?

After reading your adjacent post, I don't think this would work in order to recycle unclean water, if that was your idea. The health department would be all over you like white on rice.

Last edited:
I also agree. There are many uses for slightly unclean water, rather than dumping it into the sewer line. As water gets more expensive to import, these ideas will come to light. In my area, there is a sanitation district which recycles their sewer water and is used for irrigation at local golf courses and large commercial businesses. Once they bring that water line closer to my house, I'd be the first to volunteer in order to have green grass and cheaper water bills.

Havasu in my city we are running about 10 more miles of reclaimed lines for irrigation for the parks and schools but they have not yet offered to have me tap into it for my irrigation. My water bill in the summer is just above $200 just to keep things from completely dying out. I hate living in the desert.:mad:

I'm wondering if liability is the reason this is not offered to residents? I've seen newscasters drink the recycled water, and they say it tastes just fine. If you think about it, isn't all water these days recycled by one way or another?

So I was looking for a small set up in a small laundry (6) washers to reclaim the wasted rinse water and re use it to put back thru the washers.?

Sorry for the thread detour! There are commercial filtration units available, but I am certain are extremely costly. Most car wash facilities in Southern California are mandated to have them, due to our lack of water. As far as how much it would cost, or where you could find them, I have no idea.

My recommendation would be to contact a local commercial plumber in your area, and ask for advice.

The ones we use in So Cal are called clarifiers and the small ones are 1000 gallons, the cost of just the clarifier is a couple thousand and then you have to have it put in the ground and plumbed which would probably be another couple thousand. I have installed several of these units but I have not plumbed them as I only do the underground part but I would assume you would need pumps/regulators and who knows what else.

I'm spending £700 GBP per month on water approx 60% is for new water from the supply and 40% is to pay for treatment of the waste by the city council.

It might be worth it, can you give me any suppliers of these?

Scotland has plenty of rain and water but the still charge us fortune to supply it.

Back