Washing Machine Hoses?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablo1915

Reaction score
I will be moving into a new home soon. I would like to protect the house from possible water damage from a leak or burst washing machine hose. Should I get an "auto-shut off " hose? Which hoses are the best protection? Should I get a water shut off "system", with a shut off, an alarm and a sensor on the floor? I've seen a few different types, which are the best protection? Should I get both? Or should I get good regular hoses with a shut-off system? Happy New Year to all. Thank you.

You don't need those. auto washer hoses burst because their water pressure is to high and unchecked and they leave old hoses in use for to long.
best thing to do is replace them every 3-5yrs. and maintain a reasonable water pressure on your system. 50-65 psi.
Have you had this happen to you before.
Excessive water pressure can cause more than just auto washer hoses from popping.

I tried those auto shut off hoses, for about an hour. If you have a HE unit, where water is constantly added under full pressure, it will shut off the hoses and you will need to get behind the washer, unscrew the connection from the wall, eliminating the vapor lock. With one load of close, I needed to do this 4 times. I put them back into the package and quickly returned them to Home Depot, and picked up a set of nice, new braided stainless lines, for half the price.

I want to protect the new house from possible water damage from a leak in the hose OR a leak in the washer. OK, sounds like the auto shut off hoses are not the way to go. What about the shut off "systems", like this, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742N3KHF/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 ....there are others, maybe something with a sensor on the floor that will shut off the water if there is a leak (hose or washer) ?

Last edited by a moderator:
**edit** nevermind.. auto shut off valve ?

are you talking about these? My house was built in 2007. I think newer homes should already have them installed. It's a good idea to put those shut off valves in just in case + change those supply lines every 5 years or so.

You can get both lines for $12-$15 at the local wal-mart.

DSCF4609.jpg

Last edited:
Back