Washing Machine Drain Pipe Broken

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The condition of the pipe in the floor is terrible.
Totally falling apart from rust.
Inserting a new pipe inside it will narrow the already skinny path the drain water has to follow.

It is time to bust up the floor and run a new pipe to a bigger drain line.

Or install the laundry tray pump as suggested.

How far away is the sink in another room?
Maybe you can rig up a drain going through the wall, to reach it?

I can't tell by the picture but is there anyway you can get the broken pipe threads out of that fitting without
damaging it. If you can then you can screw a 11/2 abs male adapter in and then run pipe up for your washer. If
not then you will probably have to do what you said if you don't want to break up the floor.

I don't know about older washing machines, but modern ones need a 2" drain pipe. I don't think 1-1/4" is sufficient for even an old drain pipe.
Also, that was not a proper standpipe at all.
It should look something like this (not sure if cleanout is necessary):
1660513504163.png
The standpipe needs a P-trap to prevent sewer gases from coming up. The trap arm must be minimum of 6" above the finished floor and a maximum of 18". The height of the pipe above the trap arm must be minimum 18" but max 42" under IPC or 30" under UPC. The trap arm must be a minimum of 4" long (if you have 2" pipe).
If you can afford to have it fixed properly, I would recommend that. You don't want it letting sewer gases in or rotting out and causing flooding in the basement. If part of it broke off, the rest that is rusted is probably no good.

I wish you the best of luck on getting this fixed.

Hopefully you abandon that drain,its possible that if you use the one in the slab your floor will start leaking connecting to the main drain is your best option,as mentioned above you will cause a restriction by decreasing pipe size, that may cause stress on the washing machine pump,you will also get sewer gases with a connection like that,and some splash back because it's not connected conventionally

I will add that reducing pipe size for a drain is a code violation. You can go larger, but not smaller (with the exception of going from a 4" closet flange to 3" pipe). Unless you want the water to saturate your concrete, you will likely have to either bypass or replace that rusty pipe.

Latest posts

Back