Washing machine drain and utility sink pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooseheads

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am planning on moving my laundry area from the outside wall to the centre of my basement on my bungalow house that's on a septic in Ontario Canada. The current installation is not plumbed properly and will be removed and capped off.

I would like to drain the washing machine into an outlet box connected o a 2" standoff pipe that connects to a y pipe that is connected to a laundry sink. The y pipe would then connect to a liberty 405 pump with a 2" inlet underneath the cabinet. The pump would then pump up 7' - 8' and run over to one side of a double y pipe on the main stack that goes to the septic. The vent of the pump will be connected to a 1.5" pipe from the main vent stack that is currently protruding from the basement ceiling that has been tapped off from upstairs. I would add a T to the pipe.

I also plan to add a full bathroom directly beside the laundry room that will also use a saniflo macerator. The macerator outlet will connect to the other side of the double y pipe that the utility sink is connected to on the main stack. The vent will connect to the othe side of the 1.5" T that the utility sink is connected to on the main vent stack.

I know I need to have the standoff pipe above the washing machine outlet. The horizontal pipe from the standoff pipe will need to run about 7-8' to get to underneath the sink to the pump. Is there any issue with that?

I was wondering if I need to put a trap on the bottom of the standoff pipe and then run it over to a y pipe that is connected after the trap on the sink. The y pipe would then connect to the pump, so I would have an individual trap for the sink and the washing machine. Or could I just have one trap above the pump for both?

Is there any issues with having the laundry pump and bathroom pump connected to the same vent from upstairs?

Thanks for the help.

having a hard time pictureing what you want to do.

can you load a picture of the sink area and where you want to pump to/tie in pump

Thanks for the reply Frodo. I understand that it's a tad confusing, I was confusing myself as I was writing it. :eek:

The PDF shows the new layout and where everything is situated. The first pic shows the existing setup somewhat and the main stack to the septic where I'd like to add the double y pipe. The last pic shows the upstairs baths. The pipe with the cap to the right is where I would add the T for the vents.

Thanks.

View attachment markup [6070].pdf

IMG_0692 [6085].jpg

IMG_0699 [6077].jpg

Well there's your problem. All your plumbing is upside down!

:eek:

And shiat flows down hill...
hide.gif

Seriously, someone will help you out soon... ;)

now that you have the 2 , 3x3x2 wyes installed with a clean out plug

on the first one, install a 2'' street 45 looking up, with a 2'' tee directly on top

in the side of the tee. install a 2'' ptrap, with stand pipe. this is your washer drain

in the other 3x2 wye install a 2'' wye as shown ..

bathroom_layout_dims_door.jpg

man, thats ugly

View attachment 10559

the vent is all fugged up and you have a drain connected to it.....and, and.

jeeeex!!!!

remove the cleanout plug, screw in a male adapter, into the adapter

http://screencast.com/t/QLaLMhEV

install 2 of those, with a clean out on the end

follow me so far?

I think I understand, so I have to extend out the bottom drain of the main stack. The only thing I'm worried about there is do I have to build the wall out a long where I will extend the drain to support the drain? I was originally planning to cut into the stack and add the y's higher up.

now that you have the 2 , 3x3x2 wyes installed with a clean out plug

on the first one, install a 2'' street 45 looking up, with a 2'' tee directly on top

in the side of the tee. install a 2'' ptrap, with stand pipe. this is your washer drain

in the other 3x2 wye install a 2'' wye as shown ..

When I install the 3x2 y's do they stick straight up vertically?

I like the way you used the bottom of the stack. As I mentioned before I wasn't planning that. So if I want to add an automatic pump for the laundry sink I would just tie in between the pipe running to the washer?

yes...each thing needs its own drain, if you add another sink/pump you ad another 3x2 wye

what you can do,,,install the male adabter. then, instead of the 3x3 wys..install a 90 turning to the side running with the wall
then the wyes.

Can I just tie the laundry sink drain into the 2" pipe from the washer and the 3" y on the stack? Or do I need to have it connected to a different 3" y connection as you said earlier? I know the pump I was thinking about getting doesn't need a vent I copied it below for reference. It's an automatic pump and doesn't require a ptrap. Since I will run the stack like the way you suggested I don't need the liberty pump anymore.
http://www.burcam.com/en/products?v...n_id=200&section_id=67&cat_id=685&sku=300514W

I will run the new 3" stack closer to wall I plan to build as you suggested.

Also the saniflo pump for the bathroom I was thinking of getting has a 1.5" vent inlet. So will I be ok to run the vent up to the 1.5" vent from upstairs? I noticed you drew 2".

Sorry for all the question and I really appreciate the help a lot.

what is that crooked ass 2'' pipe ? where does it go? is that a vent for something?

to answer your question, no, you cant have two of those pumped drains into a 2'' pipe

Lol. That is the drain for the old sink that was there when I bought the place. The drain exits the bottom of the sink and attaches to a pump, which pumps up to the y connector. The hose entering the top is from the washer to a barb. Which I know is a big no no. I plan to cap the 1 1/4" pipe with an end cap and take out the barb and screw in a 1/2" copper cap where the barb goes and leave it. I don't want to cut into the stack there and fix the y connector with an extension because they put it so close to the 90 going to the septic and I'm worried something might go wrong.

That crooked ass piece is such a joke. Who ever put that in should shot. There are more joints in the pipe then a teenagers locker. I will remove all that crap and just cap everything off. I will add three y connectors like you mentioned.

Do you see anything wrong with what I said about running both the washer and the macerator to the 1.5" vent pipe in the ceiling. That's the piece sticking out the of the ceiling with the twist off cap on it in the other pic. It looks like how you drew it minus the 2".

Thanks.

Hey Frodo hopefully you're still kicking it around here lately.

So I finally got the wall built and started on setting up the drain from the stack. However I read something in the code here in Ontario that I need a cleanout 30" from the building. I was thinking that I could attach a y connector off of the main stack and have one end connected to a cleanout and the other end connected to a 45 degree going to the new horizontal drain that I am installing and at the other end of the new horizontal drain have another cleanout. Does that make sense?

Secondly, you mention having a 45 straight off the 2" y. I took two pics. The first one shows the 45 coming out inside the stud which is prefer to have so that I can finish the wall later. The 2nd PIC shows the 45 coming out vertical with the y. Not sure if I need it connected like that or not.

Thanks

IMG_20160131_200740.jpg

IMG_20160131_201159.jpg

IMG_20160131_200626.jpg

Not sure what Ontario code is, as for some reason they feel worthy of having their own licences and code, but the National Plumbing Code of Canads states that the clean out must be the same size as the building drain. So if you have 4" pipe leaving the house, you need a 4" clean out within the distance they ask for.

Not sure what Ontario code is, as for some reason they feel worthy of having their own licences and code, but the National Plumbing Code of Canads states that the clean out must be the same size as the building drain. So if you have 4" pipe leaving the house, you need a 4" clean out within the distance they ask for.

Thanks for the reply Matt. I planned on adding a 4" clean out to the additional horizontal section of the drain that I'm adding, but what I'm concerned about is whether or not I need to add an additional clean out to the same location that the clean out is now off of the main stack. You can see the original clean out on the first page which is on the bottom of the stack. Originally I just planned to attach a 90 degree connector connected to a 4" adaptor. But I think I might need to add a y connector there with an additional clean out.

Latest posts

Back