washer & sink hookup...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phantomvs

Reaction score
Ok so here is the story, the wife wanted a sink next to the washer.

So i did a rough-in and she ran the washer and once i got a little water backup (about 1 cup) into the sink drain.

Is this done correctly or what would you guys change?

I know it should be a 2'' abs tube but its a 1 1/2'' and everything was fine till i added sink.

I am thinking its because the drain for the sink is below the washer , but the reason i did it that way is cause if not the drain would be too high (18'' +) for the sink.

Any ideas ?

BTW where you see the orange wire it leads to a AAV and main drain is coming from the right side.

Thanks in advance !!

washerdrain.jpg

wdrain.jpg

Replacing the combination wye and 1/8th bend with a sanitary tee on the washing machine drain would help. And I could be wrong, but that looks to be a vent ell at the base of the stack, it should be a long sweep 1/4 bend for that application. And the washing machine should be the bottom fixture on the stack.

By using a combination wye and 1/8th bend, you're making an s-trap. The height of the vent opening is lower than the wier of the trap which can cause the p-trap to siphon out. It may cause an odor, however this isn't going to solve the problem you're having. The drain line is undersized and it isn't wet vented properly. The wet vented section of the stack needs to be 2 1/2 times larger than the higher trap arm. 1 1/4" drain on a lavatory would be acceptable to wet vent into a 2" line etc. The sink drain should be higher than the washer line. if height is an issue for the sink drain, try installing another Combo downstream of the existing stack and pipe a new stack with air admittance valve for the washer drain. Cap off the existing branch serving the washer p-trap. This is worth a shot as I assume you just want it to work! Good luck.

Thanks for the help guys.....Great doodle work :)

Makes more sense now that i have a visual.

On the doodle the sink is still below the washer...my main problem is height for the sink, will this work as per doodle ?

So i should double vent...1 for each fixture sink and washer ?

Should i use a wye or sanitary tee for the connections for washer and sink to main branch ?

My main drain is wet vented and comes from the right side and is where i tapped into my 1 1/2" line. In Canada a 1 1/2" line is ok , the norm here.

Thanks again !!

Last edited:
Well current code in Canada you do need 2" for laundry. But 1 1/2 should still work for ya. So many houses still have 1 1/2 without problems.

Also your vent can't be more than 6 ft from your drain (one pipe diameter fall for grade) which is why you should be using a sanitary tee instead of a wye. With a wye and 45 (unless it's a fitting 45) creates more than a one pipe diameter fall.

If there is any way to lower the horizontal main trunk line, I would. If you can't, then I would pipe it like the "Doodle" with separate vents. And yes, use a sanitary tee or "San tee" instead of a wye/45 combination. Also knows as a "combo".

I think the main reason you're having water come into the sink is that you're wye fitting for the washer drain is aiming directly towards the San tee of the sinks trap arm. And because the 90 below the sinks trap arm is a 1/4 bend and not a long sweep 90, it may be resisting the flow even more... The simplest thing would be to pipe it per doodle and lower the horizontal trunk line if possible. We won't know of this will fix it, but it probably will! Add a clean out too as well. Just invade there is a blockage downstream that we're unaware of.. Good luck bro and let us know!

Ok, so from what i see, i can't lower the main horizontal trunk line, but what i can do is turn it into a 2'' line as it presently ties into a 3'' wet vent main stack with a 1 1/2'' bushing to 3'' wye.

I can get a pic of that later as i would need to change all of that to accomodate the 2''

So if i change the horizontal trunk line to 2'' i have some questions on the doodle...please see pic. Where do i use wye or sani tee's.

Thanks again guys.

plumbing.jpg

Here are two acceptable ways of piping your drain lines. A good rule of thumb is this...

Any change in direction from horizontal to vertical: 1/4 bend or San tee.

Any change in direction from vertical to horizontal or horizontal to horizontal will be a long sweep or combo.

image-2331272816.jpg

image-1466628138.jpg

Since i can't lower the height i will go with option 1.

Thanks alot Pioneer Plumber , you saved me alot of headaches !!

As promissed here are the pics of the main connection.

Can you just verify for me this part, this is my main stack and where i connected the 1 1/2'' tube that i want to change to a 2''. Is the wye ok for the cleanout.

It use to be a cleanout that i tapped into....

Anything wrong or should i just continue and change the main stack to 2'' and remove my 1 1/2'' .

Thanks again !!

maindrainclose.jpg

maindrain.jpg

Last edited:
Back