Washer Drain in basement install.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch11

Reaction score
Hello,
I'd like to move my washer to the basement. It has resided in the kitchen for 20+ years. The question I have is about how to properly install a drain.
The large collection pipe (black) is behind where I would like to install it and where it it currently drains into (the kitchen is directly above it). The white vertical pipe that drains into the horizontal pipe is the furnace condenser line drain. The vertical pipe with the copper line that empties into it and then the horizontal pipe is the current washer drain. The final vertical pipe appears to be connected to the roof vent. I'd also like the possiblity of a sink drain (with pump). The house is 130 years old and there is some bizarre diy work present. None of it was done by me.

Attachments

• IMG_20220329_051827760.jpg
    IMG_20220329_051827760.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220329_051822484.jpg
    IMG_20220329_051822484.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220329_051804218.jpg
    IMG_20220329_051804218.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
Looks musty......

You have an s-trap by design and it’s not vented.

Technically it’s illegal. Will it work ? Probably so.......
Thanks,
Not musty luckily, very dry basement. The previous owner had some old newspapers and books on shelves in the basement and they were all kinda crispy and dry.

The s-trap work was installed when furnace was in replaced in 2004 ish. It drains perhaps a liter a day if that. I can see the closed permit in the online system so it passed inspection back in the day. Do you think it is best just left alone at this point or should it be upgraded? In the unit on the other side a studor(?) Vent was allowed due to rock walls of the basement making renovation difficult.

Still, the question was can a drain for a washer be installed into the main horizontal pipe and how?

Thanks

Oh ok, I thought you wanted to use the pvc drain you have pictured for a washing machine. I understand now.

Ok, to add a washing machine drain just use one of the discontinued pipe you have there and build off of it.

Install a 45 to get back vertical then install a sanitary tee. Install a ptrap then continue up for the vent to the outside or connect to another vent only pipe.

If height of the drain is an issue then you’ll need a pump system.

Back