Washer drain backs up when toilet flushed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tegat

Reaction score
Washing machine located in the basement. 2 weeks ago it began backing up and it seems to only happen if you flush the toilet while the washer is draining. I tried to get a snake in there but couldn't get a 1/2 or 1/4 inch past the p-trap. I've since run hot water through a drain cleaning bladder in the drain pipe twice (about 5 minutes each) and it appears the water is draining but still backs up. A plumber came out and suggested upgrading from a 1.5" drain to 2", including putting a PVC fitting on the main sewer line to tie the 2" drain into. Have no problem going to 2" if that will solve the problem but did some reading on my own and from what I can tell, the washer drain needs to be properly vented and there are also certain restrictions when it comes to the lengths of the standpipe, vent pipe, trap arm, etc. There was no mention of the existing setup except going to 2" so makes me wonder if this is the right person for the job or if diagnosis is complete. All existing water fixtures are dry vented except for the 2 toilets and 1 shower which are wet vents. The existing vent stack is 20 feet horizontally on the other side of the house so probably can't tie into that. Except for the washer, all water fixtures are on main floor.

Don't know if it matters but my septic is also due to be pumped out. I usually pump it out every 4 years and four years passed Sep. 2013. I plan to do that once the ground thaws. I don't know what effect if any this might have. Not having any sewer backups as far as I can tell.

Any thoughts on what could be causing the backup would be appreciated. Below is a pic of the washer drain setup with some notations in blue of what I think it should look like if indeed I have to change the drain pipe.

Looking for any comments on that as well. If I could run a 2" pipe and reduce it to 1.5" at the wye fitting to the sewer line then that is something I might do myself. I wouldn't wanna mess with the sewer line myself and I'm a little bit leery about someone else messing with it if they don't seem entirely knowledgeable.

washer_drain.jpg

If it only backs up when the toilet is flushed upstairs, then you are worrying about the wrong pipe. I am thinking that your main drain line has a partial blockage.

If it were in the drain arm to the washer drain, it would back up regardless of whether or not a toilet was being flushed.

Just noticed this happened without using the washer. I didn't see when it happened but I know the dishwasher was running while someone was taking a shower and maybe even used the toilet. I remember the first time it happened someone was showering, the toilet was flushed, and the washer was on (don't know if it was draining at the time). So it seems to happen when there is an appliance involved dumping a lot of water down the drain while something else is trying to drain eg. a sink or other appliance. So I'm thinking it's likely a partial blockage in the sewer line that runs out to the septic tank. Any other thoughts? If the ground wasn't frozen I would have the septic tank pumped out because right there you could see exactly how fast it is draining into the tank.

This first happened about a day or two after Christmas. At that time we had 4 extra people staying with us for a week (normally only 4 people in the house) and on Christmas day another 8 extra people for a total of 16 on Christmas day. A couple were little kids too so who knows what could've gone down the drain.

@phishfood Didn't see your reply before I started typing. Anyway I think you're right and my last post confirms it.

Back