Wanted - Unbiased opinion on sewer video inspection

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarroyo87

Reaction score
I have a small triplex in San Francisco. I the basement unit had a back up with the toilet. It happened twice in 2 weeks. I had the the toilet snaked and a camera inspection from the street side toward the back of the house. The plumber is recommending a replacement of my sewer lateral. He wanted to replace 50 feet of the sewer and do further inspections when he has better access to the sewer after he opens it up. He said that he had trouble running a camera further because he could not maneuver his camera to go the direction he wanted it to go. He also said that I had bellies that needed to be fixed. Let me know what you think. Here are some interesting points of the camera inspection. I do not want to replace the sewer but I will if I have to. Is this something I can just clean out or is a replacement needed?

Location - Things I see
18' - Pipe changes from big pipe to smaller pipe. It might be where the sidewalk pipe meets house sewer
34' - Build up. Not sure what. Intersect. Possible flat spot
40' - Intersect
42' - Possible flat spot
48'-50' - Build up and maybe a belly.
58' - Intersect and build up
60' -Build up and intersect

Link to video.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12PNAFR7pCMKgtaMZK_rX0Yg158itH4-j?usp=sharing

Any help is appreciated.
-Albert

I’d have the bad belly repaired and install a clean out at that repair location. I’m not too worried about flat spots, I see them on a regular basis.

You could also have it cleaned up with a light power jet job.

Or you could replace it all. Your call.

I would consider how long you plan to keep the property and how much maintenance costs vs replacement.

We have replace a lot of sewers. We have also repaired a lot of sewers that had trouble spots and now they’re working fine.

Rooting rooter is a franchise . Anyone can buy in just takes money . Not professionalism .

Surprisingly, it did not have the word "rooter" in the company name. I decided to have the sewer hydro jetted and camera re-inspected. The bellies might be caused by build up so I will test for "standing water" after a good cleaning. I have 2 quotes so far $900 for a hydro jet and camera inspection and 20k to replace 50 feet of sewer line. They both seem high so I will shop it more. If I get my sewer hydro jetted every 2 years then I'll break even with a replacement after approximately 40 years . I don't have plans to sell my house but that can easily change.

Back