volume control and water temperature

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pc34

Reaction score
I recently had copper pipes installed and a new tub/shower fixture with scald gaurd, volume control and seperate temperature control. When I decrease the volume, the water temp significantly lowers, and when I increase the volume, the temp rises. I don't think the volume conrol should affect the water temp. I called the company, and they said that that the water temp will lower when volume decreases...thay said that is a safety feature. That doesn't make any sense to me. Why pay a lot more for volume control, only to freeze when you decrease the volume, and fry when you increase it. They say there is nothing wrong. Should the volume control affect water temp???

The temperature should be constant. All new shower faucets must be anti scald. The way most work is with a balancing spool. What the spool does is when the pressure droops on the hot water the cold pressure will also be lowered the same amount thous keeping the temperature the same. Changing the volume after the valve shouldn't effect the temperature.

John

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought, but the company insisted that there was nothing wrong with my fixture.

It may not have been piped in correctly. John is correct and you should see no difference in temperature when the volume is adjusted if you have separate valves for each feature. Post a picture of the valve set up if you can and the piping, unless it has been completely covered after the installation.
In most installations, the order of water control would be (1) Temper the water with a thermostatic mixing valve, pressure balanced. (2) adjust volume (3) divert water to shower or tub.
A mix up in the piping arrangement could cause the problem that you described, depending on the specifics.

Back