Very loud tub (video)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigredram87

Reaction score

Hi I recently moved into a house and I have been trying to figure out how to deal with my tub being so loud. The bathroom and my bedroom share a wall so this sound is extremely loud in the bedroom(louder than in the shower). It is the loudest in the center portion of the valve but although it doesn’t sound like it is still loud even when the shower only is on. I replaced the shower valve with a moen and no change. I put a water pressure gauge on a spigot and it is claiming my water pressure is 65 psi.( I have not calibrated this or verified I just bought it from Home Depot) I have tried to lower this value just to see if I hear a change but after attempting to adjust it and opening up the regulator I learned that someone pulled all of the guts out of it lol. Also my phone doesn’t pick up the sound great but although it doesn’t sound very loud at some of those valve settings in comparison to the “sweet spot” it is pretty loud any time the valve is on. No other faucet in the house makes this noise Please advise thank you so much

Last edited:
I would assume that the shower doesn't make that loud noise since it has it's flow restricted.
It looks and sounds like it's a pretty high pressure in conjunction with a tub spout that tends to amplify the sound.

We
I would assume that the shower doesn't make that loud noise since it has it's flow restricted.
It looks and sounds like it's a pretty high pressure in conjunction with a tub spout that tends to amplify the sound.
What do you recommend? fixing pressure regulator and lowering overall water pressure and or replacing spout ? Or will all spouts be the same sound wise

steel tub? Acrylic? Make an access and use spray foam under it

Probably nothing underneath it. It is hard for me to hear, but I am assuming the sound is it hitting the tub and not because it is coming out of the faucet like a squeal?

Thank you I will do these suggestions to further quiet the tub , however it’s hard to tell from the video but the sound is in fact a squeal from the pipes not from the water hitting the tub.

could be a faulty washer inside the valve

change washers.and see
Inside the shower cartridge or the on/off? I have replaced the shower cartridge with a genuine moen and have replaced the rubber washers in the hot and cold on/off valves

Latest posts

Back