Very loose toilet supply line. Problem? Possible solution?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbird412

Reaction score
Just moved into our new house (1 year old) and this is how the toilet supply line looks. Any way I an secure that up so it doesn't cause issues later and doesn't look so bad? Plumbing experience .... if there was BELOW novice, I would fall into that. I can install a faucet or a shower head that is about it

2020-10-28 23.06.42.jpg

There might be a flexible pex line supplying the shutoff, and the bracket that keeps the stub out rigid might be broken or missing.

You could try taking some pics inside that hole, with extra light source.

Or enlarge the hole, inspect, then patch the hole later.

Save the drywall cutout if you can, to more easily patch it back on.

If you can install a faucet you are better than you think, half the battle is just getting yourself under the sink.

Do it the way the Builder would have.
Silicone Caulk, lots of caulk.
-or-
Pay attention to what everyone here (but me) advises, as in:
Cut out some sheetrock around pipe, then strap down that flexible plastic pipe.

Fix Drywall: Easier Than THIS looks

In the past few years I’ve renovated several bathrooms and in almost every case (even with copper) the “professionals” did a lousy job of anchoring stub-offs for toilets AND sinks. I remove the drywall, add blocking if necessary, firmly anchor the pipe/tubing and repair. With today’s “push-fit” connections you need to have the pipe/tube stabilized and be able to take a lot of force, else you’ll never bottom out the connector.

Here’s a photo of my most recent; it serves a sink/vanity. Unfortunately due to the way this website works the photo is rotated. The stubs are actually horizontal.

Attachments

• 6130034A-047B-4135-8541-21C998383A0C.jpeg
    6130034A-047B-4135-8541-21C998383A0C.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 16
If the wall connection is easily movable and not under tork, why not drill 2 holes thru the escuthion and screw into wall with dry wall anchors to hold the screws?

Just curious since no followup--Is my suggestion above doable regarding wall screws to anchor the escuchteon plate?

Latest posts

Back