venting rules

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superchief

Superchief
Reaction score
If you have only a single toilet on a 3" or 4" (I can choose) line feeding a 4" main with a nearby 4" true vent, how far can it run before it needs it's own revent?

I think these two pictures might help you. They are "stickies" at the top of this forum, in a thread about PVC pipe sizes.tapatalk_1546643578838.jpegtapatalk_1546643608598.jpeg

I am going to stir up a real high powered poop storm here.

:D:):p

But when it comes to a toilet, with NO OTHER FIXTURES IN THE MIX, which is self siphoning, and has a means of refilling it's trap seal, you can run from my house to yours, wrapping twice around the block as you do so.

I should mention that the above chart is from the Uniform Plumbing Code(UPC) while the following chart is from the International Plumbing Code(IPC). It looks like the OP might be under the IPC. section 909.1 Vents.jpg2018 IPC Trap Arms.jpg

Last edited:

:D:):p

But when it comes to a toilet, with NO OTHER FIXTURES IN THE MIX, which is self siphoning, and has a means of refilling it's trap seal, you can run from my house to yours, wrapping twice around the block as you do so.

AH HA!!!
[evil laugh]

more fodder for your poop storm

a vent has nothing to do with drainage, a vents purpose in life is to protect the water seal,

the old trick of hold your finger over a straw then release it, that is what a vent is for
is not true

AH HA!!!
[evil laugh]

more fodder for your poop storm

a vent has nothing to do with drainage, a vents purpose in life is to protect the water seal,

the old trick of hold your finger over a straw then release it, that is what a vent is for
is not true
May I assume this is for information only and has nothing to do with the OP's question?:)

But you still need 1/8" per foot, probably, so if your houses are, say, 100' apart, and the block is a typical 1/10 mile on a side, the drain needs to fall 12 1/2" (house-to-house) plus 66" (on each side of the block), for a total fall of around 45 feet. That would require a lot of digging at best, maybe a few lifts, and I'm having trouble imagining the topography :).

Ahh ... that explains the disagreement I was having - we are IPC so it is 16' for a 4" pipe, I was being told it was 12' which was just shy of what I needed ...

... but the table says 16' @ 1/8, what about at 1/4" and wouldn't that be the preferred slope to specify?

Ahh ... that explains the disagreement I was having - we are IPC so it is 16' for a 4" pipe, I was being told it was 12' which was just shy of what I needed ...

... but the table says 16' @ 1/8, what about at 1/4" and wouldn't that be the preferred slope to specify?
So slope it at whatever you prefer, since your not restricted by the table. As stated above, "self-siphoning fixtures, such as Water closets, shall not be limited".

These guys are just playing around with each other.o_O

So one more question - the laundry I could

a. run a 2" line 17' to a 4" main, but I'd have to extend the main 14' to do this (straight shot) and then soffit the extension - the soffit is the real work, so I'd like to avoid this scenario ...

b. run a pipe straight through a joist bay to a different section of the 4" main, but it is 36', so I'd have to revent or use a AAV, neither of which is preferred

c. run a pipe 36' but upsize the pipe to 3" or 4" if that eliminates the vent need.

There is a sink plus a washing machine, so 3 or 4 DFU depending upon how you count the sink (probably 3 I would think).

If I can do C then once I reach the main it is another n feet to the vent, n being pretty far (maybe 35') but I don't think that is a problem if the main is 4"?

Can I do this under IPC and if so, what size drain pipe would be needed for 4 DFU?

Back