Venting question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KULTULZ

Jack of All Trades ~ Master of None
Professional
Reaction score
I am involved in a mild CONDO remodel (3 unit tall) and have a question about the kitchen sink water wall and DWV.

The main drain pipe is 2" vertical coming from the overhead unit and running along it is a 1 1/2" vertical vent. The kitchen sink drain is discharged through this combination via a horizontal 2" pipe. The vent comes into the horizontal drain via a sanitary tee. The tee was offset approx. 45 degrees from true vertical. This offset caused the width of the two vertical pipes to interfere with the drywall (too wide) and I re-plumbed the tee to a true vertical to reduce the spread of the two vertical drain-vent lines.

I now notice in my Harry Homeowner text that a Side Vent is a vent that connects to a horizontal drain pipe through a fitting no greater than 45 degrees to the vertical.

Does this imply a true vertical is not within code and that there has to be an offset? If the offset is necessary, can the vent be returned to the corrected path by fittings above the tee?

Any help is much appreciated.

Kitchen Sink DWV_1.jpg

Kitchen Sink DWV_2.jpg

Kitchen Sink DWV_4.jpg

The change you have made is fine.

What is not allowed is to run a vent horizontal below the flood rim of the fixture.

John

THANX JOHN!

So the kitchen sink (not yet installed but originally plumbed the same- to the right of the vertical pipes in question) will be considered vented properly?

I ask as I think there was a lot of oversight by inspectors on this building.

From This Thread- http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/f2/pvc-t-cap-2253/

First off you shouldn't be installing a sanitary tee on it's back.

It should be a Y and 45. As far as capping it will the cap be permanent or temporary?

John

John,

If you will notice on the third photo I posted above, the sanitary tee is fully on it's back. Is this allowable? It is also the vent for the kitchen sink (will be positioned to the right).

Why can the tee not be positioned on it's back? Does it interfere with venting?

Kultulz, think about it from the perspective of water flowing through a sanitary tee that is lying on it's back. There is very little directional affect from the tee, and a goodly amount of water and waste will be pushed uphill toward other fixtures. A wye and 1/8 bend combination does a much better job of sending the drainage water and waste downstream towards the sewer.

In your case, you are using the sanitary tee as a vent, with no water being drained through the tee from above.

If your talking about the tee that is used for the vent that is fine, what can't be done is to have a sanitary tee on it's back for a waste line.

John

Kultulz, think about it from the perspective of water flowing through a sanitary tee that is lying on it's back. There is very little directional affect from the tee, and a goodly amount of water and waste will be pushed uphill toward other fixtures. A wye and 1/8 bend combination does a much better job of sending the drainage water and waste downstream towards the sewer.

In your case, you are using the sanitary tee as a vent, with no water being drained through the tee from above.

THANK YOU GENTLEMEN!

It makes sense now. What had me confused (easily done) is it's having been plumbed with a sanitary tee and not just a tee. It leads one to believe that the vent is wet but it definitely is not.

I guess that is why you guys have apprenticeships and classes... :D

Latest posts

Back