Venting My Half Bath Vanity Drain Question...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinegrovedave

Reaction score
Hey folks,

My plumbing company no longer does business in my city and I need to get this half bath done. Had an inspector come out for the rough in plumbing and he told us that the AAV isn't allowed in the city, anywhere else it's fine...just not here. That being the case, on the same wall is the vent for the toilet in the full bath on the other side of the wall, so I'm thinking of venting to that. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA...Check out the video for the details. Thanks again...
Venting 1/2 Bath Vanity Drain

Maybe you can double 45 it to the left against that stud and save drilling that stud to the right twice. Your not aloud to put an AAV in the wall and then
cover it up. Must have an access panel, but in your case you can't use it at all. Make sure you strap that pipe up that your going
to tee into so it can't fall and cause you alot of problems.

The vent for single sink can be 1 1/4" pipe, so that's what I would use in your case. I think you might have room to snake a 1 1/4" pipe up to the left of your shower valve before you have to drill through the stud on the left, as TomFOhio suggested.

Just remember, a dry vent cannot go any more than 45 degrees off vertical until you reach 6" above the flood rim of the sink. After that, it can go horizontal with a slope of at least 1/4" per foot back towards the drain. And the line you are tying into is a true dry vent, correct? That is, I'm assuming this is a one level structure and there are no fixtures draining into the vertical line you are tying into.

The vent for single sink can be 1 1/4" pipe, so that's what I would use in your case. I think you might have room to snake a 1 1/4" pipe up to the left of your shower valve before you have to drill through the stud on the left, as TomFOhio suggested.

Just remember, a dry vent cannot go any more than 45 degrees off vertical until you reach 6" above the flood rim of the sink. After that, it can go horizontal with a slope of at least 1/4" per foot back towards the drain. And the line you are tying into is a true dry vent, correct? That is, I'm assuming this is a one level structure and there are no fixtures draining into the vertical line you are tying into.
It'd be a tight fit, but I might be able to do it. I can only find PVC schedule 80 in 1 1/4" though. Can that be used in place of ABS?

Yes, as long as it is just used for the dry vent section. And you need to verify the glue you use will work on an ABS to PVC joint or use a mechanical connector. like a Fernco coupling.

Well, called for an inspection today...He came out and told me everything looked OK, but I have to fill the drain with water to ensure no leaks. Said I had to snake a "balloon" on the outside sweep to block the sewer line and then fill the pipes...I guess I need to cap every sink and washing machine vent? Is that about right?3.jpg

Latest posts

Back